Longest you've ever left wort out before chilling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackForestBrewery

Reaction score
What's the longest you've ever left your wort out (before pitching yeast, chilling, etc)?

Normally I always chill the wort down in 15-20 minutes, get it into the carboy, pitch the yeast, etc. Sadly yesterday, I got a call from my girlfriend (car broke down) as soon as the boil finished and I had to leave the wort out for 2.5-3 hours. I hate doing that.. I hate leaving during any part of the brewing process. :mad:

So now I'm sitting here eyeballing for infections or any other boogieman that might creep up on my brew. So, whats the longest any of you guys have left your wort out uncovered, not properly cooled?

My first brew ever, I thought that putting the wort on the porch to cool (it was January and below zero on the porch) would be good enough. It took like six hours to cool, but the beer turned out fine.

Had a similar experience to Bernie with my first brew. I massively underestimated the amount of ice it would take to cool the wort down. Figured adding the wort to the chilled two gallons already in the bucket would do it. Nope, and then the bucket was just insulating it. Ended up letting it sit overnight. It was brewer's best imperial IPA kit and it turned out just delicious.

72 hours... the vast majority of my brews get left out sealed up tight... never had a problem.

I have left wort out to cool down overnight several times. And I have also transferred to the carboy and used water baths with frozen water bottles over 24+ hours to get down to pitching temps.

Back