Copper tube types

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runhard

Reaction score
Is there a reason I can't use refrigeration copper tubing instead of type L, M, or K? I'm a little confused and I was heading to the store today because I'd like to complete the conversion of my SABCO brewmagic from a RIMS to a HERMS. Anyone know the answer? Thanks in advance.

runhard said:
Is there a reason I can't use refrigeration copper tubing instead of type L, M, or K? .

I'm no plumber but I worked in a Plumbing supply store for a few years after high school...10 years back so this info might be not of much help. but L,M, and K refer to the thickness of the copper pipe, and depending on the application L,M, or K copper is required for that application to be up to housing code. as for the composition refer, or pipe there is no difference except the thickness of the tubing.

I used refer tubing in my HERMS, I think the most important thing is to get as much tubing in as possible so you get the most efficient and complete transfer of heat.

hope that helps a little

The major difference between refrigerant tubing and copper pipe used in plumbing is how the size of the tubing is measured. With copper pipe/tubing used in plumbing, the size refers to the ID of the pipe. With refrigerant tubing (ACR) the size refers to the OD. For example, 1/2" type L copper is 1/2" ID and 5/8" OD. 1/2" ACR (refrigerant) tubing is 1/2" OD and 3/8" ID. It sounds confusing and it can be.

So the only thing to keep in mind if you want to use refrigerant tubing is that if you want to have an ID of 1/2", you will have to go with 5/8" ACR tubing.

FWIW the differences between the copper tubing, wall thickness (thin type M, thicker type L, thickest type K), cleaning- water grade tube is made using stearic acid as a lube in the pulling dies and is not capped. Refrigeration grade tubing is typically type L tubing that has been cleaned on the inside and filled with nitrogen to keep oxygen and moisture out, soft coil is usually cleaned both sides and bagged to keep it clean. As Johnsma22 stated the size call out is inside for plumbing and OD for refrigeration tubing.

kladue said:
Refrigeration grade tubing is typically type L tubing that has been cleaned on the inside and filled with nitrogen to keep oxygen and moisture out, soft coil is usually cleaned both sides and bagged to keep it clean.

Good point! I forgot to mention that.

Thanks so much for the replies. I've got my caliper in hand and will measure this morning to make sure I know the outer diameter I need. Thanks again.
Jeffrey

I know this is an old thread, but has anybody used "UT" copper tube? I just picked some up to make an immersion chiller and it was about 75% the cost of L.

Back