Slowly starting....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm old school so take this fwiw.

Anybody other than friends & family who give you more than a few token $$$ has a screw loose. I guess there is the slight chance that it goes viral and you get 32,000 people to put up a $1.00 .

That's not saying that your dreams or plans of going into the beer business is bad, it's just a silly way to raise real money. Use a proper business plan and go after real investors. I spent some time in the capital raising business and would not have looked kindly on your wasting time with those methods of capital raising.

Too bad I don't live in SF anymore. I would have been interested in getting involved with labor & $$$. I wish you the best of luck and hope to someday try your beer when in SF.

This is just one of the things that Im looking at. Im already in talks with serious investors from the wine industry that are looking to put up the 1/4 million that I want. Kickstarter is a new and novel approach to the crowdsourcing concept. If you look at the other projects that have been successful, you'll notice that Mystery Brewing managed to drum up $45K, within the last few weeks.

Is it screwy and different, yes, but definitely a way to get some operating capital in your pocket. Does it take more, of course, but thats where the VC, and my own, money come into play.

So your initial response may be old school, but prior to being pointed to Kickstarter by someone from the film and writing industry, I would have never felt that this could work, but it sure does seem to work. I'll be grateful if it does, and if it doesnt, I still have the VC's in the wings.

Along those lines, I would have never thought that there is a VC market for breweries, but there is, as long as you dont do too much of the "old skool" thinking and limit yourself!

Cheers, and the beer will definitely be available to HBT members that come by.

This is at least the third brewery I've seen using Kickstarter. It really is becoming a new way to fund things, which is pretty awesome. We'll be using it in the future, once we have a specific target for something (ie 'We need to buy a 5bbl system to replace our current one' or something similar). The beauty is that if some people pledge $100 and they don't raise enough, you're never charged.

Congrats on starting out, and I hope things go well!

Back