Adding a Dial Thermometer to Brew Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toby2

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new brewer and I find myself checking temperatures repeatedly during the boil and cool down. I realize it is a bit of work and money, but I'm considering installing a dial theremometer in my 7 gallon stainless brew pot. I'm thinking it would save me having to grab the floating glass one I currently use and decrease contamination from this same procedure. Not to mention having to remove it every time I stir it.

Any recommendations on the manufacturer or type (probe length 2" vs. 4")?

Where to install it on the pot (near the bottom, middle or top)?

Toby

I have had two different brands of thermometers and I would recommend Fermatap's hands down. Seems the best built and most accurate right out of the box. I would install it about 3-4" from the bottom. You want it high enough where it won't get hot from a flame and low enough you can see the temp without the vessel being full. For a 7 gallon pot a 2" probe would be the best length.

Thanks for the advice. I just searched for Fermatap thermometers and find nothing but forums and threads. Will you please recommend a place to buy it. I have the Midwest catalog open and none there.

Toby

Latest posts

Back