Cider with WB-06 yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyB

Reaction score
Just bottle a 5-gal batch
5 gal Musselmans AJ
2lb honey
5tsp yeast nutrient and WB-06 yeast.
OG-1.062
FG-1.000
1 week in primary and 2 in secondary. Dropped out crystal clear.

Still had great apple smell, and didn't taste the bitterness reported about the WB-06 yeast. Maybe the honey helped mask or prevent it.

At 8.24% ABV, I'm going to label this one my "Cider Fall Down".
Have a few cider, you fall down.
Can't wait until it's carbed up to give it a try.

Haven't tried a batch with sugar yet.
Had 80lbs of honey here for mead making and decided I could spare 2lb for cider.
Since it didn't go completely dry, there should still be some residual honey flavor there, like that apple flavor, it should redevelop more as it ages.

I started with the "great dry sparkling cider" recipe from the recipes section.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/great-dry-sparkling-cider-117241/
(thanks Echo2112)

Good to hear that the WB-06 worked out for you. I guess the difference is the juice. I havent used Musselmans, but just about all of the store stuff I tried had no tartness in the finish. The juice I get is pretty tart

I'd call the Musselmans a balanced juice. It's not really tart, but not blah like a lot of store bought stuff. It's the Musselmans 100% Pure Premium not from concentrate.
Just blended juice and vitamin C.
Straight from the jug the stuff carries a OG of 1.051.

I'm thinking of pouring five gallons of Indian Summer on the dregs of an alt that I used with a double pitch of WB-06.

Instead of a honey, I have some brown #3 invert that I can use.

Hmm panela invert or demerara invert?

I bought the juice thinking I'd use Windsor.

I think I need to drink on it then decide.

Hey @LayerUp - any thoughts on WB-06?

Last edited:
I'd call the Musselmans a balanced juice. It's not really tart, but not blah like a lot of store bought stuff. It's the Musselmans 100% Pure Premium not from concentrate.
Just blended juice and vitamin C.
Straight from the jug the stuff carries a OG of 1.051.

I like this stuff used to use it but only place I could find it was Walmart and only available occasionally but usually on sale!

our local wally world superstore always has it but only in plastic. I can get the half gallon and quarts in glass but not the gallons.

Back