Has anyone ever melted a better bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1GR8DA

Reaction score
Racked the IPA to the keg, filled the 6 gallon BB with hot water to soak the krausen, cover the top with a rag, and walked away. I later found the rag sucked halfway into the BB and the entire transition from the sides to the neck had flattened out completely. I'll try to post a pic but I think it's toast. Has this happened to anyone else?

yea BBs are not dish washer safe .... or even hot water safe apparently. yet another reason to use glass.

Yeah, because I'm sure you put your glass carboy in the dishwasher :rolleyes:

I've used 135F tap water in my better bottle with no problems so you'd have to be going in hotter than that to cause damage.

yea BBs are not dish washer safe .... or even hot water safe apparently. yet another reason to use glass.

... or buy another BB and don't put hot water in it this time. A half-scoop or so of oxiclean free + cold water + a few hours will clean the kreusen off of the bottle for you. Rinse it like you mean it, and you're good to go.

you maybe be able to do the opposite with hot water and a little pressure instead of vacume. add a little backing soda and viniger to bottle full of hot water and LIGHTLY seal. Can you say BetterBottleBom three times real fast:D

... or buy another BB and don't put hot water in it this time. A half-scoop or so of oxiclean free + cold water + a few hours will clean the kreusen off of the bottle for you. Rinse it like you mean it, and you're good to go.

+1
Oxiclean eliminates the need for a carboy brush, and makes celaning a bucket fermenter as easy as spraying a hose, to celan.

Oxiclean AND/OR use HDPE fermentors, they can handle boiling temps. They can actually handle anything.

I think the rag is the hint here... the water cooled, and lowered the pressure in the BB, which deformed because it was softened by the heat...

I cleaned my BB Tuesday night by filling it with hot water 1/4 way up, some PBW, then sealing the opening and turning it over. Last night, when I got home, the sides were all caved in. When I opened the seal, and poured the water out, it returned to (almost) normal.

I'm not terribly worried, although I probably won't use really hot water again. It just cooled down, and caused the bottle to collapse a little bit. I'm sure it'll work just fine.

Your's probably did just the same thing. I'm going to fill mine up with water to make sure there are no leaks, but I'm pretty sure it's fine.

Latest posts

Back