Forgot to vorlauf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdbc2011

Reaction score
I forgot to vorlauf today. I mashed out at 170 degrees and recirculated by drawing of wort into a quart measuring cup. I did this until the temp reached 170 but I stirred the grains to even the temp. Will not vorlaufing have a negative effect?

You only recirculate enough to "set" the grainbed to set it up for filtering, usually less than 2 quarts, so it's not really recirculating. Just a simple vorlauf will do.

Thanks for any help.

You'll end up with more break material in the kettle, but it shouldn't hurt the finished product. If you had a bunch of grain husks make it into the boil, it could cause astringency I suppose, but it would have to be a lot to be noticeable.

Everything will be fine.

The vorlauf helps to set the grain bed and also tries to reduce the amount of grain flour that makes it into your beer. That being said, there have been several times where my grain bed set very quickly, and during the vorlauf I did not see much flour making it through to my pitcher.

For future reference, you do not want to stir your mash tun right before you empty it.

You'll end up with more break material in the kettle, but it shouldn't hurt the finished product. If you had a bunch of grain husks make it into the boil, it could cause astringency I suppose, but it would have to be a lot to be noticeable.

When I transfered to the fermenting bucket, I gravity feed it through a strainer and I saw no grain husk and none to speak of in the bottom of the kettle.

Thanks for the help.

Everything will be fine.

The vorlauf helps to set the grain bed and also tries to reduce the amount of grain flour that makes it into your beer. That being said, there have been several times where my grain bed set very quickly, and during the vorlauf I did not see much flour making it through to my pitcher.

For future reference, you do not want to stir your mash tun right before you empty it.

What would more grain flour in the beer do? Next time I will not stir the mash before I empty it. I guess this time I waited almost 10 minutes (for the mash out).

Thanks for the info. I learn something every time I brew and then learn more on here afterwards. :mug:

Flour was a bad word, I meant more grain particles. They won't hurt anything, everything settles out in the fermentor.

Ok, good. There was almost no grain or grain particles in the strainer when I transferred into the bucket. Thanks again.

For fly-sparging, some recirculation is necessary to set the grain bed.

For batch sparging it's a waste of time. Everything drops out with the break, and boiling a few husks is not a problem for the same reason decoction mashing is not a problem: tannins are only extracted at high pH, and wort is low pH.

I "forget" to vorlauf every time I brew.

Back