Overheating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
First time brewing this far into summer.. During brew, had problems chilling because well water was too warm.. had to pitch @ 71 degrees.. I live in the mountains so I left windows open at night in that room, and when I woke up in the morning it was a nice 67 degree and ferment had started..

Last night when I went to bed it was still 67-68 degrees... woke up this morning and it was at about 71-72... left for about 8-9 hours, and it's now at 74-75 degrees.. probably that way all day..

Two questions..

1) How much damage in as far as off flavors and fusels in that amount of time when you're at the peak of primary?

2) I just soaked the towel I had wrapped around each for light blockage in water, and re-wrapped the glass carboys.. and stuck a box fan on them... think this will help cool them back down?

I need to build me a ferment chamber in the worst way!

Not only that, but it's obvious that I need to start getting more creative with my thread titles... Not getting enough traffic.. gotta draw them in with some advertising...

Like Giant beer squirting nipple fermenter question???

That would probably get some viewers.... :cross:

What about beer squirting nipples?
There is nothing u can do about it now, just keep it cooler. The first 72 hours are the most important for flavor. I would put them in some water to keep the temps better and maybe some ice during the day if needed. U didn't ruin your beer it will still be drinkable.
Built the chamber. Im doing so much better now that I did.

As far as temp control there are several thread that talk about just that. Most ideas are cheap and easy. A quick search should bring up several

Depending on what you are brewing and what yeast you used you maybe still be fine. Aging may help if there are any off flavors. Let us know what you are brewing and with what yeast and we'll have a better idea.

Using SA05.. I'm running low on Homebrew IPA, so I'm not sure how long I can let it sit in the fermenters (need my fix man).. At least two weeks, but once kegged, I'll probably be able to let at least one of the two kegs sit at room temp for another two weeks or so...

The wet towels seem to be bringing the temp down some.. Down to about 71-72 now.. It's cool night, and I opened one of the windows in the laundry room.. Might turn the fan off and remove the towels before I go to sleep... and put them back on in the morning before the sunlight hits.. as the low is gonna be hovering around 40 degrees tonight.. little concerned that with the fan, the wet towels, and the cool night I might overdo the cooling thing...

You should be OK. 75 is the top end of the range for that yeast. Therefore it may not have produce 'too much' diacetyl. Let it have a little extra time on the yeast and it will clean up some of that. Also with an IPA the hops will cover up more. You should have a good beer in the end.

The wet towel/fan theory pretty much got it all under control..

That night, I re-wetted one of the towels as it was getting dry, and then I turned off the fan and opened one of the windows in the laundry room before I went to bed..

When I got up, the one that I re-wetted was at 61 degrees ( a little 'too' good of a job).. and the other was at about 65 degrees..

So I didn't bother re-wetting the towels.. they've both been at or under 68 degrees ever since.. the one that got too cool has stayed at around 64-65, and the other is at 67-68..

This stuff was brewed on monday, started visible fermenting tuesday morning, and the Krausen still hasn't fallen yet... or even started to fall.. although the gas production has slowed considerably.. so it should start falling soon... But it's very much still in primary...

I'm thinking all is well... :rockin:

Latest posts

Back