Three Floyd's Gumball Head Extract Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kwill-bot

Reaction score
I've found many all grain clone recipes for Three Floyd's fantastic Gumball Head brew. The best reviewed of those is as follows:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 50.0 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.0 %
1.00 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (80 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 8.9 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (15 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (55 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (5 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
0.20 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold (Dry Hop) [8.50%] (0 min) Hops - 4 days

Can anyone either convert this to extract or point me in the direction of a recipe that's already been made?

Most wheat extracts are somewhere around 60% wheat and 40% 2-row, so it would be pretty easy to convert.

I am going to have to guess at the effeciency of the recipe you posted, but the malts should be about like this when converted to extract...

5.5 lbs Dry Wheat Extract
1.0 lbs Caravienne

Now to get the hops correct is going to be the hard part in a brew like this one with about 4 oz of hops, because you can't get the same affect from the hops doing a partial boil that you do when doing a full boil. If you are only boiling a few gallons, then the IBUs will be DRASTICALLY reduced in the final beer, meaning you will need to change the timing or amount of some additions, which will slightly alter the profile they give. If you could let me know your boil volume, I can work your hop additions out for you to keep them about the same.

My interest is piqued. I happen to have 3 oz. Amarillo (thanks ErikTLupus) with no plans for them yet. I've not had this beer, but have heard nothing but good things about it. I would think about 8 oz. white wheat, 8 oz. 2-row, 1 lb. carivienne steeped/mashed with 5-6 lbs. wheat DME and the above hop schedule would be tasty. Anyone know what yeast is used? Ferm. temps?

I think I now have a recipe in the works. The load of hops in the secondary are what whets CU's lips!

If you are only boiling a few gallons, then the IBUs will be DRASTICALLY reduced in the final beer, meaning you will need to change the timing or amount of some additions, which will slightly alter the profile they give. If you could let me know your boil volume, I can work your hop additions out for you to keep them about the same.

Would using the french press method help that out?

As in, boil a bit of water and steeping the 2 oz. in it, pressing it, and then adding the contents to the fermenter after it has cooled. That instead of simply adding the hops to the carboy.
I've heard it can help maximize the flavor you get from the hops.

My interest is piqued. I happen to have 3 oz. Amarillo (thanks ErikTLupus) with no plans for them yet. I've not had this beer, but have heard nothing but good things about it. I would think about 8 oz. white wheat, 8 oz. 2-row, 1 lb. carivienne steeped/mashed with 5-6 lbs. wheat DME and the above hop schedule would be tasty. Anyone know what yeast is used? Ferm. temps?

I think I now have a recipe in the works. The load of hops in the secondary are what whets CU's lips!

I'm really new to all this. But is that for 10 gallons or 5?

Would using the french press method help that out?

As in, boil a bit of water and steeping the 2 oz. in it, pressing it, and then adding the contents to the fermenter after it has cooled. That instead of simply adding the hops to the carboy.
I've heard it can help maximize the flavor you get from the hops.

You wouldn't get the same flavor from them as you would from putting them in the boil. It gives a grassier, fresher hop flavor and aroma with the press method, so it wouldn't be replecating the brew you are trying to clone.

I used Wyeast 2450 in mine and it came out great. You could use US-05 or 1056, but I think 1272 would be really nice and accentuate all that amarillo.

I used Wyeast 2450 in mine and it came out great. You could use US-05 or 1056, but I think 1272 would be really nice and accentuate all that amarillo.

Good on ya! I have 05 and Notty, and wouldn't be against getting a liquid strain to fully replicate what they use. Just wondering if anyone near Munster has an inside track.

I tried this last night, my first full boil. Batch #16 this year!! I modified it a bit as best I could to try and match the recipe. I've yet to try Gumball-Head but I really love wheats and I really love american citrusy hops.

1lb. Carivinne
1lb. 2-row
1lb. White Wheat
5lb. Briess Wheat DME
.5oz Amarillo whole (9.8 AA, 60 min.)
.5oz Amarillo whole (9.8 AA, 15 min.)
.5oz Amarillo whole (9.8 AA, 5 min.)
.5oz Amarillo whole (9.8 AA, flameout)

Pitched a packet of Safale-05 at 78 degrees(took a bit longer to bring a full boil to temp!) and dropped to 66 degrees by the time fermentation began. It's going good tonight.

Dry-hop plans:

I'll throw 2oz. of hops into the secondary next week and rack onto it. I only have 1oz. of amarillo left. If I can get another oz. in time, I'll use that. If not, it'll be simcoe pellets with the amarillo. I've never used simcoe, but from what I've read I don't think that I'll lose either way.

Seems like lots of questions and no answers on this recipe, so I figured I'd get after it and report back in a month or so.

Racked 11/16 onto 1oz. Amarillo leaf and 1oz. Simcoe pellets. The gravity sample seemed about right, with one problem:eek:. I used the bucket primary that last fermented my pepper beer:cross:. I noticed a pepper note. Not distracting, but noticable.

Hell, maybe it'll be fantastic!! Took a sniff tonight and I could chew on the hop aroma.

I'm again putting the call out for a yakima amarillo rhizome pirate!!:fro:

FYI a really credible source told me that all of Three Floyds beers except Darklord are 60 minute boils. Also their house yeast strain is 1968 ESB and they use it in all of their beers. Don't shoot the messenger but I've heard it pretty much from the horses mouth.

I bottled this tonight. I've never had Gumball-Head, but I spent the most time I ever have savoring the gravity sample. I've never dry-hopped a beer with either of these hops. The aroma was initially grapefruit, followed by some other citrus. The pepper taste from the previous beer was gone. It tasted like a mix of orange and grapefruit, with a tangerine finish. I know, I'm giving tasting notes on a gravity sample! It was that good. I just hope the hops hold up through priming.

I really think that this will be best drank as soon as it's carbed. I'll get back when this happens. I'd really like to do an exchange with someone who has had the real thing, to see how it compares.

Yah, this is a winner. I'm adding it to my recipes. I don't see myself being without this brew as long as I can obtain the hops.

Just wanted to thank you for all the information here. I live on the south side of Chicago, about 30 minutes from 3 floyds and have been drinking gumballhead for quite a while. Will be brewing this recipe up tomorrow night but with the london ESB 1968 yeast, it seems like that's correct.

Ok this is my favorite beer. I am not joking I bring 4 or 5 cases back to VA with me every time I go home. I am from about 20 minutes away from the brewery. If someone that has had it, and tried the recipe I would love a heads up.

Live about 40 minutes away from Three Floyds, and Gumball head is sold around here - quite sparsely and when it can be found it's limit one sixer to a customer. I am thinking about making this my next brew.

If anyone has brewed this, I'd be willing to exchange a couple bottles of the real thing for a couple of your attempt at this. Know it might take me a week or so to source it. I have a few places I know that sell Three Floyds brews that are somewhat well hidden and if I'm willing to put in the effort I can get it. :D

DonnieZ said:
Live about 40 minutes away from Three Floyds, and Gumball head is sold around here - quite sparsely and when it can be found it's limit one sixer to a customer. I am thinking about making this my next brew.

If anyone has brewed this, I'd be willing to exchange a couple bottles of the real thing for a couple of your attempt at this. Know it might take me a week or so to source it. I have a few places I know that sell Three Floyds brews that are somewhat well hidden and if I'm willing to put in the effort I can get it. :D

I live in Lockport Il, you have to go to a liquor store in an un-populated area to find it in stock, had some last night! Love that blast of Amarillo hops when you put your nose over the glass to take a drink.

I live in South Bend and am able to get 3 Floyds anytime. I have used the following clone extract recipe and it is really good.

6lb Wheat Dry Extract
1lb Pale Malt
1lb Torrified Wheat
1oz Amarillo Gold (60m)
1oz Amarillo Gold (30m)
1oz Amarillo Gold (5m)
1oz Amarillo Gold (Dry Hop)
White Labs California Ale WLP001

teep cracked grains in muslin bags from cold to 155 degrees. Hold at 155 degrees
for 30 to 40 minutes. Drain and remove muslin bags.
Bring to a boil. Add DME and 1 oz. of Amarillo Hops. Boil 30 minutes.
Add 1 oz. Amarillo Hops. Boil for 25 minutes. (1/2 oz. if less hoppy is desired)
Add 1 oz. Amarillo Hops. Boil for 5 minutes. (1/2 oz. if less hoppy is desired)

Ferment 68 to 70 degrees until fermentation completely ends
Re-rack and dry hop with 1oz of Amarillo hops for an additional week.

I compared them side by side an man they were close in aroma and taste.

I will brewing this up soon. Gumball Head is a fantastic brew. We live less than a mile from Three Floyds so we have the ability to easily make it there on regular basis. If we can come close to brewing this clone to the original it will be consumed rapidly.

Nail thank you so much. I will be stealing the recipe you posted for my own using. Of course I will never stop buying their beer when I am home in Indiana. I only have 6 gumball head beers left so I need to start making some of this.

I made the same recipe that Nail posted 3 months ago and getting ready to brew a second batch because it was such a fan favorite. This is a beer that will always be in tap.

This recipe is for a 5 gallon batch correct? How much water do you guys start with when brewing this one? I normally get the kits and some start with three gallons and others with two and a half galllons. Ordered the ingrediants to brew this up last night. Can't wait for this one!

The recipe I posted is for a 5 gallon batch. I do full boils so I start with around 6.25 gallons for a 60m boil. I use Beersmith for my recipes so if you need the first one converted still let me know. It does the conversions from AG to Extract for me and lets me know my initial volume according to the boil time. It is great software for anyone.

Do you know what the approximate OG and FG should be and what size yeast starter is needed? Thanks!

I live in South Bend and am able to get 3 Floyds anytime. I have used the following clone extract recipe and it is really good.

6lb Wheat Dry Extract
1lb Pale Malt
1lb Torrified Wheat
1oz Amarillo Gold (60m)
1oz Amarillo Gold (30m)
1oz Amarillo Gold (5m)

teep cracked grains in muslin bags from cold to 155 degrees. Hold at 155 degrees
Add 1 oz. Amarillo Hops. Boil for 25 minutes. (1/2 oz. if less hoppy is desired)

I'm brewing a 3 gal batch of this tonight. I'll let you know how it turns out!

I'm brewing a 3 gal batch of this tonight. I'll let you know how it turns out!

I am glad I could help. I am going to brew another batch here soon also. Right now I have a Pete's Wicked Ale clone on tap and I want to do a Vienna Lager next but think another batch of Gumballhead is on the way.

I think I screwed this up when I tried to do a 3 gal batch today. Can you tell me your OG and FG?

6lb Wheat Dry Extract
1lb Pale Malt
1lb Torrified Wheat
1oz Amarillo Gold (60m)
1oz Amarillo Gold (30m)
1oz Amarillo Gold (5m)

I think I screwed this up when I tried to do a 3 gal batch today. Can you tell me your OG and FG?

I wish I could. My computer crashed after I made it. I had all the info on beersmith. Since I had to reload everything, I do not have the OG or FG. I remember it was close to the estimates by beersmith. I have not re-entered the recipe yet but if you need the beersmith estimates let me know and I will get to it as soon as possible.

Hi guys. I'm a noob (as you might be able to tell) and have a question. When someone says it's a 3 gallon batch, do they mean starting with 3 gallons in the boil and making the rest up in water added to the primary fermenter? As opposed to a full boil (6.5 gallons) and no water added to fermenter? Thanks in advance and sorry for the dumb question.

No, it means they have taken a 5 gallon batch recipe and adjusted the ingredient amounts to come up with a 3 gallon version.

Hockyplr said:
No, it means they have taken a 5 gallon batch recipe and adjusted the ingredient amounts to come up with a 3 gallon version.

Thanks for the reply. Can't wait to try this one out!

6lb Wheat Dry Extract
1lb Pale Malt
1lb Torrified Wheat
1oz Amarillo Gold (60m)
1oz Amarillo Gold (30m)
1oz Amarillo Gold (5m)

Primary: Hefeweizen
Kegged: Gumballhead Clone

Just getting set up to do All-Grain and kegging.

I will not be doing a full boil for this recipe due to pot restrictions. My question is how much water should I start out with to steep the grains? It almost looks like this is mashing rater than steeping. I use NB's Extract kits normally and they start off with 2.5 gallons for steeping and the one hour boil.

I will not be doing a full boil for this recipe due to pot restrictions. My question is how much water should I start out with to steep the grains? It almost looks like this is mashing rather than steeping. I use NB's Extract kits normally and they start off with 2.5 gallons for steeping and the one hour boil.

I am a newbie and love Gumball Head. Without sounding totally stupid, is there a "Gumballhead for Dummies" step by step process for this extract recipe? And those who have done it, does the hops really come thru?

Back