Consequences of racking too early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkatuw

Reaction score
I have a batch of Edwort's kolsch fermenting (since last Sunday) and the gravity is down to 1.020. I wanted to brew again tomorrow but I don't have any empty primary fermenters.

So what would be the downside of racking to secondary tomorrow morning before my brew session? Would it stall the fermentation? I'd think that the yeast in suspension would be enough to finish off the fermentation in the secondary, but I tasted the hydro sample and at 1.020, it's very sweet and I'd be disappointed if that's what the final product tasted like.

Opinions? I know I could push my brew session to next weekend, but I want to get my pipeline filled back up, so if possible, I definitely want to brew tomorrow.

Edit: I guess another solution would be to bring the beer out of the 64 degree basement upstairs where it is 75+, but I have a feeling that might lead to some off flavors.

You could always swirl up some in the trub while Racking to make sure you get enough.. It may slow down the ferment, but shouldn't have an impact on the beer..as long as you have sugars and yeasties they will eat.

I have done it a number of times before I had enough carboys with no negative effect on the beer.

I just read this while doing some google "research":

Fault: Diacetyl Buttery, Butterscotch, Movie Popcorn

Cause: Try another yeast strain. Oxygenate wort before fermentation. Reduce primary fermentation temperature. Use a warmer/longer secondary fermentation. Use healthy yeast in sufficient quantity. Make sure sufficient yeast nutrients are available (including reducing adjunct use). Check for infection. Allow beer to rest on yeast until fully attenuated. Don't rack, filter or fine too early. Don't crash-cool yeast. If lager, raise temperature for a diacetyl rest at end of fermentation. Bottle condition beer at cellar temperatures. Avoid adding oxygen during fermentation.
Source: http://www.bjcp.org/faults.html

That buttered, cooked corn taste might be enough to discourage me from racking too early. Or maybe I'm getting DMS and diacetly confused.

The stress put on the yeast would be too much to get by withou any off-flavors occuring. You will likely develop some fruity esters if not the diacetyl, and it may stall your fewrment, making your beer either never attenuate properly, or still be working away by the time this next one needs to go to secondary. Patience is the key to great beer.

I thought about buying two buckets (10gal batches), but two problems. 1, LHBS is closed today and 2, I use a wort wizard to pull the wort thru my CFC, so I need to use a carboy (although I could put the wort in a 5gal carboy and then dump into a bucket (it will help aerate).

I watched the airlocks for a little bit this morning and they were still bubbling every 4-5 sec, so it looks like brew day will have to wait until next weekend.

Patience Daniel son. Let it ferment dont rack to the secondary until it is time. My opinion.

Back