Throw-together American Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whippy

Reaction score
Hello,

I'd like to ask for suggestions, please, on my first lager. I had NO idea I would be lagering this year so all my ingredients have been purchased with the intention of making specific ale recipes.

Now that I have temp control, I am DYING to try a lager and have come up with the following for an American Amber:

8.5# 2-row
14oz box of minute rice
8oz c-120
4oz Briess roasted barley
1/2oz 12%AA Nugget for 40min
WLP840 (American Lager Yeast)

Mash at 150F

Ferment at 55F down to 50F for 14 days, 3 days at 62F, down to 34F slowly over the course of 7 days, then lager for 6 weeks.

Does anyone have any recipe or process suggestions? I REALLY need to do this without purchasing anything besides the yeast which I have not yet acquired.

I have plenty of 2-row and Maris Otter malt, Nugget, Bravo, EG, and Target hops, some C-80 and some Briess Special Roast...and about 3# of local honey...plus DME for my starter... that's what I have to brew with until later this year

since you have temp control I'd ferment at/near the lower limit of that strain ~50*° then let it warm up for a d-rest when you are about 75% of the way down to your est FG - usually around 1.020ish - it could take 2 weeks to get there, it could take 3 days so keep an eye on your fermentation or airlock to see when it starts to slow down and then take a FG reading

Back