My Coopers wheat!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonden3000

Reaction score
Hi

I started my Coopers kit 2 weeks ago. Had good fermentation and now it is clearing up nicely. I took out a sample today to measure SG (1.002?!?). Afterwards I tasted the sample and though it tasted ok and in the area of wheat, it was very thin and lack of body.

Will the beer get some more body when carbonating?

Bonden3000

Nope the beer wont get anymore body while conditioning.

1.002 does seem extremely low for a wheat. Chexk your hydrometer in water at 20C to make sure it reads at 1.000.

it is slightly off. 0.996.

i added some more sugar in the beginning to get a slightly higher ABV.

Adding sugar will assist in removing body from the beer. The corrected reading will be 1.006 which is still fairly low.

If you would like to add body to the beer look at adding DME or steeping grains. These will both add flavour and bodg to the beer. Even tho the beer is a little thin I hope it is is still drinkable.

It seems low for a coopers , 1010 area would be normal. Anyway if its your 1at brew don't worry just enjoy the end result. It will be beer.
Next brew steep some grains and use dme instead of sugar. Look around for recipies on the site.
Most of all ENJOY it :)

Latest posts

Back