Household bottle sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyrhine

Reaction score
Anybody know a good household sanitizing solution? Ferm went quick so I need to bottle soon but had truck problems so I can afford new bottles. Collected ones from my friends, no mold or anything but definitely never rinsed. Like I said Gavin truck problems so I can't really afford to go out and buy bottle sanitizer.

I get mine from the can/bottle redemption center. i'm not sure what the situation is in CT, but in IA we get 5 cents back per bottle/can. they are super nice at my redemption center. they separate Grolsch style bottles as well. you do have to pay them back the 5 cents though. I've gotten 400+ bottles from there for about 20$. you need to clean the crap out of them, scrub and insure there is no "moldies" in there. i do the following, soak in bleach, dawn dish soap and scrub, starsan soak, dishwasher on sanitize.

It's ok to leave it in the fermenter longer in most cases I think the major exception is in the case where you have dry hopped or added spices to secondary and want to separate the beer. If neither of these is the case you can leave the beer in the fermenter for an extra week or two and it will likely even get better than if you bottled now. Used bottles are fine if you clean and sanitize. For cleaning hot water and a bottle brush are sufficient. for sanitizing I really strongly recommend using a no rinse sanitizer designed for food. Starsan and iodophor are the most popular brewing sanitizers. You can get a small bottle of iodophor very inexpensively and I would strongly recommend it. Appropriately diluted bleach solution is an option but, You need to rinse and that could compromise the sanitization.

Tl;dr best option wait a week or two until you can afford starsan.
2nd best get iodophor
Want to use something around the house bleach.

I would skimp financially on many other aspects of homebrewing before I skimp on sanitizer. If you skimp now you could ruin the batch, and that'll cost you more than a container of star san. A one quart bottle is less than $20 and should last at least a year, more like 2 or 3, depending how often you brew (you can reuse the solution, and most things can get sprayed rather than dunked).

I wouldn't worry about leaving the beer in the fermenter unless it's more than a few months.

i feel like my answer is not on par with the question. i apologize, for not slowing down and reading the actual question. maybe my answer was right and your question was wrong. LOL "i reject your reality, and input my own"

Is there anywhere I can get sanstar that isn't a brew shop? My local one is closed on Saturdays and I don't think I've ever seen it there.

I believe I read in The Complete Joy of Home Brewing that you can use a weak bleach and water solution to sterilze with. Just be sure to rinse really good.

Back