Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickN

Reaction score
I recently brewed my first Brown Ale. I don't have the exact recipe on me but i can get it later. I bumped up the LME from the 6 lbs called out for in the recipe to 7.5 lbs. Other than that I followed the recipe that I had(Kent Goldings/Cascade Hops).

Anyway, I kegged last night and had myself a test tube of it. It was good but not heavy like you would expect from a typical Brown Ale(Moose Drool). It kind of felt watered down. So what can I do to improve the next batch?

Thanks! I can post the exact recipe later if it will help.

I recently brewed my first Brown Ale. I don't have the exact recipe on me but i can get it later. I bumped up the LME from the 6 lbs called out for in the recipe to 7.5 lbs. Other than that I followed the recipe that I had(Kent Goldings/Cascade Hops).

Anyway, I kegged last night and had myself a test tube of it. It was good but not heavy like you would expect from a typical Brown Ale(Moose Drool). It kind of felt watered down. So what can I do to improve the next batch?

Thanks! I can post the exact recipe later if it will help.

Carbonation is vital for mouthfeel; samples of flat beer typically seem watery. Get it carbed, then try it and see what you think.

You kegged last night - so the beer is probably green and undercarbed. Carbonation changes both the mouthfeel and the perception of flavors.

While I am still messing with simple brews, I read many recipes that say 8oz (5gal batch) of maltodextrine can really improve mouth feel.

While I am still messing with simple brews, I read many recipes that say 8oz (5gal batch) of maltodextrine can really improve mouth feel.

I use about 4 ounces in a 5-6 gallon batch... Works for me in most of my ales.

bosco

Back