Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey yooper...I have a batch of this that has been in primary for about 15 days...I see you say 21 day primary...would you recommend leaving it in primary for that last week...or you think I could get away with getting it in a keg to sit and start carbing up?

Have you tried rousing the yeast? Ensure heat is up in your apartment and when your beer is in the mid 60's, swirl fermenter to resuspend the yeast. You may need to do that every couple of days for a week. I've had to rouse the yeast with a few strains, and it usually works out fine.

If that doesn't work, you could always pitch some dry yeast in to finish it out.

Cheers

Well, I've been a lot less gentle with this batch than I normally am, having to move it around in my house and from container to container to bathtub to another container. But I suppose I can try rousing.

I accidentally put 8 oz of the chocolate malt in the bag and it got mixed in at the lhbs. It is now crushed with the rest of the grains. Anyone think that's going to kill the recipe, or is it worth going forward with it? I did put in 8lbs of the maris otter since I've been getting consistently low efficiency.

This looks great so I just ordered the ingredients and plan on brewing it next week. Substituting 1.3 oz. of Northdown to hit the same IBU's since I have it in the freezer and going with US-04 for the same reason. (I always keep lots of US-05 and 04on hand. Great yeasts.) I'm also going with 12 oz. of pale chocolate since it is less bitter than chocolate and it looks like that was your original intention.

I've shared a few of these with some folks at work, and the reviews have been stellar. I brewed it full-on according to directions with the ingredients from Brewmaster's Warehouse.

I washed the yeast and used it in Dawson's Multigrain Red from Northern Brewer. I then washed that yeast and made the Surly Furious Pro from NB (it's currently fermenting nicely).

Thanks for the recipe. I always make sure to tell people it's your recipe; I like to give credit where credit is due! :mug:

I've shared a few of these with some folks at work, and the reviews have been stellar. I brewed it full-on according to directions with the ingredients from Brewmaster's Warehouse.

I washed the yeast and used it in Dawson's Multigrain Red from Northern Brewer. I then washed that yeast and made the Surly Furious Pro from NB (it's currently fermenting nicely).

Thanks for the recipe. I always make sure to tell people it's your recipe; I like to give credit where credit is due! :mug:

Thank you- I'm glad it turned out so well for you. I'm happy that you like it!

Fabulous recipe. For various reasons, I could only eke out 1.023ish in FG and it's still good, at 4 weeks. I thought my OG would be higher than it ended up so I actually overbittered it, so maybe that lends itself to me not noticing the higher FG. In any case, the beer looks gorgeous. It's dark but it's actually surprisingly clear if you hold it up to the light. The head is a nice, creamy light brown. Yooper, you were not kidding: this head really does last and last! :rockin: I was especially impressed with the lacing.

0229122335.jpg

Thanks for the recipe. I'm sure it will be enjoyed on St. Patrick's day if I can keep myself out of them til then.

P.S. please excuse the fruity tapestry in the background; that was the only place with any light.

I've now brewed this three times--twice per the exact recipe, and once with a yeast change.

I brewed this back in January using Wyeast 1099 (Witbread) with great success. I brought a bottle to our club meeting, and no one could believe that I hadn't added cocoa or chocolate nibs--the coffee and chocolate flavors are that pronounced. I kicked the keg in less than 3 weeks with the help of some friends. I rotate between this and Jamil's McQuaker Stout from Brewing Classic Styles, and everyone prefers Yooper's recipe.

Yooper, thanks for sharing--this makes an excellent beer!

Finally pulled the tap on the recipe this weekend and Oh MY God words can`t describe how God Damn good this beer is ,I used this to show a good friend how to brew beer and couldn`t possibly picked a better brew!
First thing I`m gonna do is brew this for Myself.

Ran out of this 2 weeks ago, Brewing it again tomorrow. I added half ounce of Cascade hops during the 60 min boil just for a little more bitterness, this was a great stout and really didn't last long in the keg, maybe a month. Thanks for a great Recipe Yoop.

Brewed a batch of this last night. Everything seemed good except I had a hard time maintaining my mash temp. Had a swing from 158 to 152 and then added heat in the last 15 minutes to bring it back up to 156. Hope it doesn't affect it too much!
Got 5.5 gallons of 1.054 wort :)

Brewed a batch of this last night. Everything seemed good except I had a hard time maintaining my mash temp. Had a swing from 158 to 152 and then added heat in the last 15 minutes to bring it back up to 156. Hope it doesn't affect it too much!
Got 5.5 gallons of 1.054 wort :)

That sounds fine!

Hope2Perc made this, and we got to sample her version at her house last week. It was really good, and it was fun to drink another person's version of the same beer.

Yooper said:
That sounds fine!

Hope2Perc made this, and we got to sample her version at her house last week. It was really good, and it was fun to drink another person's version of the same beer.

Thanks! Though after this post I went through my notes and realized I pitched nottingham instead of the recommended yeast. Wonder if the nottingham is going to mute a lot of the flavors? I use nottingham a lot since I like it but not sure how well it will go with this recipe since I am still learning. What do the pro's think? I'm just hoping it won't change the recipe too much!

Thanks! Though after this post I went through my notes and realized I pitched nottingham instead of the recommended yeast. Wonder if the nottingham is going to mute a lot of the flavors? I use nottingham a lot since I like it but not sure how well it will go with this recipe since I am still learning. What do the pro's think? I'm just hoping it won't change the recipe too much!

I'm pretty sure I"ve used it before with this recipe, and it was good. I just preferred the Denny's and Wyeast 1335 for the mouthfeel.

Couldn't wait and tried a hydrometer sample 3 days in at 1.024 and if it come out anything like it tastes now, I am estatic! I've been trying to get an oatmeal stout similar to Blue Point Brewery Oatmeal Stout,.and this tastes just like it! I adjusted the recipe ever so slightly to get a more roasty/coffee flavor and it seems spot on. I am very happy and if it continues along as it is, I can see this being a permanent brew around my house.

Had to take another sample and checked the gravity after 2 weeks. Showing 1.022 and doesn't seem to be fermenting anymore. I am hoping it will get a little drier, but doesn't seem to be. I wonder if my changes to the recipe made it not as fermentable? Here is what I did:

7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 63.64 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.82 %

10.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
4.0 oz Black Roasted Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.14 %
2.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 31.6 IBU

Hey yooper, let's say your local didn't carry flaked barley, what would you sub in for it? Recipe looks great, and for some reason, no matter what time of year it is, I need to have a stout on tap at all times.

Hey yooper, let's say your local didn't carry flaked barley, what would you sub in for it? Recipe looks great, and for some reason, no matter what time of year it is, I need to have a stout on tap at all times.

there really isn't a reasonable sub, but flaked wheat would enhance head retention as well.

Has anyone tried to substitute Kiln Coffee Malt (180 Lov) for the Pale Chocolate Malt (200 Lov)? My LHBSs don't stock Pale Chocolate. Interested in opinions on whether or not the Kiln Coffee might take the coffee notes too far. Looking forward to brewing this one up.

Thanks,

Keyth

KeythL said:
Has anyone tried to substitute Kiln Coffee Malt (180 Lov) for the Pale Chocolate Malt (200 Lov)? My LHBSs don't stock Pale Chocolate. Interested in opinions on whether or not the Kiln Coffee might take the coffee notes too far. Looking forward to brewing this one up.

Thanks,

Keyth

I did this recipe with 10 oz kiln coffee and 8 oz chocolate malt. It's mighty tasty. Pale chocolate doesn't taste a whole lot like chocolate and kiln coffee is only slightly coffee....I think they are in the same 'ballpark'. Only used 2 oz of roast.

I did this recipe with 10 oz kiln coffee and 8 oz chocolate malt. It's mighty tasty. Pale chocolate doesn't taste a whole lot like chocolate and kiln coffee is only slightly coffee....I think they are in the same 'ballpark'. Only used 2 oz of roast.

How would describe the flavor profile of your version, did you switch the quantities of the chocolate malt for the Black Roasted Barley in order to tame the bittersweet, burnt sugar notes. I imagine yours should have been more coffee\toffeeish(sp?)? Did you still get the right color?

Thanks,

Keyth

KeythL said:
How would describe the flavor profile of your version, did you switch the quantities of the chocolate malt for the Black Roasted Barley in order to tame the bittersweet, burnt sugar notes. I imagine yours should have been more coffee\toffeeish(sp?)? Did you still get the right color?

Thanks,

Keyth

Keyth- great excuse for me to crack one on this holiday. I'll report soon! Color is black still - I like less bitterness of the 200L dark malts. I added lactose too at bottling due to higher attenuation. Guess I took a few liberties.

I brewed this recipe a ways back and it was a HUGE hit. I'm drinking the last of them even though it's damn hot outside. I'll be brewing up a new batch at the end of summer. Thanks for the great recipe!!!

KeythL said:

Thanks,

Keyth

Keyth- my palate ain't the greatest....but I'm going to try. There is plenty of gentle roastiness in this brew. It's not sharp roast, and I can't call it either 'coffee-like' or 'chocolate'. The mouthfeel is thin for an oatmeal stout but I attribute that to my FG of 1.009. The lactose helps with that. I used Denny's 1450. You can see from the photo that there is a bit of dark red when the light catches the bottom of the glass just right. Head retention stinks. Overall I think if mash had been
five degrees higher (looks like it started way too low at 148 for ten minutes, I was double-brewing...) this beer would be improved. I give it three stars and am happy with leaving out the heavy roast as it probably would have put this thinner beer over the edge.

Cheers!

image-3864832590.jpg

Thanks for the follow up, looks good. I just used my $14.99 Pasta Roller Grain Mill for the first time on the grist for this one, appears to have done a good job. I'm substituting Kiln Coffee Malt for the pale chocolate malt (I've flipped the Chocolate and Black Roasted Malts as well). I made my starter yesterday, it ripped through 1.5L and is chilling now. I hope to brew this one tomorrow if it isn't too hot (moved from DC area to Northern Wisconsin and I appear to have brought the swamp with me...yuck). I'm thinking of toasting the oat flakes in the oven @300 until golden brown ('til it smells like oatmeal cookies). I'm shooting for smooth and creamy with full body and a hint of roastyness. I'll definitely be trying to keep the mash at 154~156 for the body\mouth feel. Reports to follow.

Keyth

Anyone put their stouts on Nitrogen instead of C02?

Brew day went smooth (hot though), missed the target mash temp (trying for 154, mashed @152). Mash Tun smelled like a coffee urn (I think that's a good thing :p ). Now the hard part...waiting.

Rolling Boil

Fermentation @14hrs

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tapped a keg of this now. Had a Keegan ale mothers milk stout and a ruination ipa right before, so ky taste is all screwy, but of the 3 people that had it, it is instantly a favorite. I'll have to try it with a fresh palate another time, but so far it seems like a winner.

It's already nearly the first of August, and I'm thinking of cool September nights so this stout is up next. I'm going to make it just as written, since that's been my favorite of all the variations.

If I can find the pale chocolate malt I'll give it a try as written, but I just kegged my batch with the kiln coffee malt I substituted and it smells and tastes awesome (strong coffee notes with mild roast). Once it's carbed up, if it's as good as I think it's going to be, I'll be adding a stout tape sooner than I had planned. I just need to find a good ESB to add to my lineup. Thanks again Yooper!

Keyth

The old man and I will be brewing this this weekend!! Can not wait Thanks for the great recipe Yooper!!

Neil

Finally got this carbed up yesterday. Followed the recipe as written except I used Wyeast Irish Ale yeast (1084) at 65F. I let it sit in primary for 1 month, secondaried in a keg for 2 weeks, then force carbed.

This is a really, really nice stout. The bitter chocolate and coffee flavors are wonderful. I made it for a party on Friday. I need to make sure I don't drink it all by then.

This will be a new regular in my kegerator.

Hey Yooper. I'm finally out of this beer, and I'm going to have to brew it again. I'm not much of a stout person, so I'll be brewing this for my daughter and a few coworkers who are asking for more. :) I, too, will be brewing it as posted. It went over so well, why mess with it? ;)

Hey Yooper. I'm finally out of this beer, and I'm going to have to brew it again. I'm not much of a stout person, so I'll be brewing this for my daughter and a few coworkers who are asking for more. :) I, too, will be brewing it as posted. It went over so well, why mess with it? ;)

I'm not much of a stout person either- but I like this one! Five gallons of this lasts us quite a while, but I still like it enough to brew it again in the next month or so.

Is your daughter that likes this the one I met at your house? If so, I knew I liked that girl. :D

Hola Yoop,

Thinking about brewing your recipe again. Have you considered adding cocoa nibs? If so - would you add them to the mash, boil or fermenter? Amount?

I'll probably give this recipe a shot soon. Sounds like its a winner.
It seems like I've read somewhere on here about leaving the dark, roasted grains out of the mash until the end or doing a separate mash for those grains. Something about mash Ph? Does anyone have any insight on that? I may brew this one this coming weekend and want to know what grains to bag separate.

I'm not much of a stout person either- but I like this one! Five gallons of this lasts us quite a while, but I still like it enough to brew it again in the next month or so.

Is your daughter that likes this the one I met at your house? If so, I knew I liked that girl. :D

Both of my daughters were there. This is a funny self-portrait they took. The one who likes the stout is Jen; she's the one with the white sunglasses. She was behind the camera all day, so this is all I have of her from that day. She was a huge help. (where is the smiley heart emoticon?? :) )

WP_000929.jpg

I'll probably give this recipe a shot soon. Sounds like its a winner.
It seems like I've read somewhere on here about leaving the dark, roasted grains out of the mash until the end or doing a separate mash for those grains. Something about mash Ph? Does anyone have any insight on that? I may brew this one this coming weekend and want to know what grains to bag separate.

I never have separated out my dark grains, but I hit my mash pH each time so I haven't really thought about doing that. If you are likely to have a too-low mash pH, you might consider it.

Both of my daughters were there. This is a funny self-portrait they took. The one who likes the stout is Jen; she's the one with the white sunglasses. She was behind the camera all day, so this is all I have of her from that day. She was a huge help. (where is the smiley heart emoticon?? :) )

Ah- I didn't know they both belonged to you! You had a lot of people there, and I didn't know who belonged to who unless they told me. :D

Latest posts

Back