Metheglin's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDavidson

Reaction score
Is there a rule of thumb for adding spices?

Most specifically, I'm making a Cinnamon Vanilla Metheglin 1 gal batch and would like to know how much I should be adding.

Also, if this question was in the FAQ, I apologize for being too blind to see it. Any help or advice is highly appreciated!

Spices can be tricky. A little goes a long way. I recently made a vanilla cider. I used 2 tbs of genuine vanilla
extract in 5 gallons and it was pretty nice. I usually use around 3 sticks of cinnamon in 5 gallons left to soak for a few weeks.

Is there a rule of thumb for adding spices?

Most specifically, I'm making a Cinnamon Vanilla Metheglin 1 gal batch and would like to know how much I should be adding.

Also, if this question was in the FAQ, I apologize for being too blind to see it. Any help or advice is highly appreciated!

Avoid using powdered spices, use whole, cracked or sliced instead. The reason being that powdered spices are next to impossible to get out after the desired flavour profile has been reached & continue to add more & more spice flavour.

You can always make a sort of teabag, or use a tea ball / hop ball to contain your spices, there is also this:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brew-infuser.html

As far as amounts of spice, it really depends on the type of spice & your personal taste. You can add a little & wait longer, or you can add a lot & get it done faster; either way you should taste test along the way, so you don't exceed your desired spice flavour profile. Once it seems just right to your taste, pull those spices out.
Regards, GF.

For a 1 gal batch, I would go with one cinnamon stick. Possibly 2 if you want it very cinnamony. Leave in for 3 weeks most.

If you were using beans, I would say 1-2 in the secondary should be fine, split scraped in. But you are using extract: I would go 1/2 teaspoon in 1 gal.

Don't forget to oak it. That will bring out the flavors too and make it smoother.

Matrix

Back