I wish my beer was a little more carb'ed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillybilly

Reaction score
I am using the 5 oz priming sugar per 5 gallons it is carbed up but I wish it had a little more. I though that maybe the caps weren't that tight but I rechecked them all and I am using the red wing capper. I was thinking of maybe going to 5.5 or 6 oz priming sugar or would I be risking bottle bombs

That wouldn't hurt. What style are we talking? Some brews will benefit from a good bit more or less priming sugar. Also, the temp of your beer at bottling will have an impact as well... Cold liquid will hold more dissolved co2 in solution.

how long did you leave it out of th fridge and at what temp? i never use that much sugar (usually around 2/3 to 3/4 a cup) and i neve have an issue

After priming, how long did you leave the bottles at room temp before sticking them in the fridge?

Yup all of the above and how long did you leave it at room temp it takes a light beer 2 or 3 weeks to carb up and a higher gravity beer months I am told.

1 oz per gallon is pretty common and for me it puts me up to 2.7 gravities if I bottle at 70 degrees.

Depending on your bottles I would not go much higher than that. Some bottles are much heavier and can hold greater pressures but I was told from the brewery where i bought the bottles to never go over 3 atmospheres or I would risk bottle bombs.

And to be honest to my taste 2.7 is about right for me. It falls in line with the bud and coors crowd.

The bottles have been at room temp for around 7 weeks I put 6 of them in the fridge yesterday I have been drinking a few for the last 4 weeks. I made a kind of Samuel Adams clone extract kit. It fermented for 4 weeks and was around 70 when I bottled.

Then it could be that:
1) You don't care for that volume of carb
2) You actually had more than 5 gallons when you bottled
3) Your priming solution didn't mix well enough and some bottles will be under/over carbed

Sorry I missed your post. What kind of sugar are you using. And do you mean it has been in the bottle 7 weeks or 7 weeks since you brewed it and 3 weeks in the bottle

Well as long as you had a good seal on your bottles and honestly that is kind of hard to screw up I am thinking it is carbed.

Does bud or coors have enough carb for you or would you like more.

You know it just dawned on me. When you are chilling them I know some of the carb is absorbed back into the beer. Cold beer holds more carb so I am wondering if you left some in the fridge for a week and then tried it. That way the carb would get a chance to even out in the bottle.

I am grabbing at straws now LOL

Back