Barrel aged Rasputin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had some back in August. It was awesome. I just picked up another bottle this week! I have a friend who absolutely loves Old Rasputin. I am going to share it with him!

I got make this. I recently made an Old Rasputin Clone for some friends who love it. I also just got my hands on two 5g oak barrels that were used for whiskey aging....

I've had Old Rasputin, but not aged in a barrel. Is it the Old Rasputin XII? Old Rasputin has great flavor...I imagine barrel aged would be even better. I'll have to keep my eye out for a bottle of that. I didn't even know they made it until this thread :p

Got a barrel for Christmas. Making my RIS tomorrow to barrel age after fermentation. Can't wait to taste it!

Yeahman99 said:
Where did you get it? I have been waiting and Cavalier said they would let me know when it arrived.

Found one bottle at Jungle Jim's last night. Got lucky I guess.

Teromous said:
I've had Old Rasputin, but not aged in a barrel. Is it the Old Rasputin XII? Old Rasputin has great flavor...I imagine barrel aged would be even better. I'll have to keep my eye out for a bottle of that. I didn't even know they made it until this thread :p

This is the one.

image-2997897970.jpg

I saw a few of'em during my last trip to the beer store but for 23 bucks I had to let'em stay there.

Mkay. I can get it for $20 here. I was just wondering if it was a good price. That being said, I can trade some of this for anything unique and worthwhile that I am ignorant of here in the Midwest :)

I actually bit at $20 for the bottle. Oh dear gosh it was phenomenal. Enough to convince me to save up for a bourbon barrel? Of course.

This may be a silly question...but would a nice long secondary with a sizable amount of bourbon soaked oak chips even come close to replication this kind of effect?

I've done several standard stouts and added beam aged oak chips to the keg. Best result were lightly toasted chips, soaked in beam for six months or longer. Added about 1/3 cup to the keg in a hop bag. Taste was best between 3-6 months. Longer and it seemed to get bitter. Same with adding the liquor.

I'm going to go look for that beer. I'd pay 20 to try it.

I'm drinking a local brewpubs 2008 imperial stout aged in beam barrels for 3 1/2 years right now.

Back