Irish Oats = Toasted Oats?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToastedPenguin

Reaction score
Heard from someone today that Irish Oats are oats that have been slightly toasted/roasted. Anyone know if this is true?

If they are, has anyone ever toasted/roasted their own oats?

It's really not that difficult. Just spread them out on a baking sheet and bake at 350-ish for 15-30 minutes, stirring a couple times, until they're a nice golden color and smell slightly nutty. Remove and allow to cool, or add straight to your mash tun.

Ok cool, that is simple enough, thanks for the info.

Am I on track with the idea that "Irish oats" are oats that have been lightly toasted? I have a recipe that calls for them but can't find them at any LHBS.

Irish oats aka steelcut oats (as far as I am aware) are just oats that have been chopped up instead of being flaked. “Imagine taking the best oats, removing the outer husk (which is inedible) and then cutting them into smaller pieces - that's all we do!” http://www.mccanns.ie/

As a result they need to be boiled with plenty of water for ~20 minutes to gelatinize their starches before they are mashed. I've used them a couple times and haven't tasted a reason to go through the extra effort or not using flaked/rolled oats.

As the previous poster said, you can toast any kind of oats yourself either in the oven (or a dry skillet). Let them go until they smell like oatmeal cookies, it is easy to overcook them, don’t wait for much of a color change.

Irish oats aka steelcut oats (as far as I am aware) are just oats that have been chopped up instead of being flaked. “Imagine taking the best oats, removing the outer husk (which is inedible) and then cutting them into smaller pieces - that's all we do!” http://www.mccanns.ie/

As a result they need to be boiled with plenty of water for ~20 minutes to gelatinize their starches before they are mashed. I've used them a couple times and haven't tasted a reason to go through the extra effort or not using flaked/rolled oats.

As the previous poster said, you can toast any kind of oats yourself either in the oven (or a dry skillet). Let them go until they smell like oatmeal cookies, it is easy to overcook them, don’t wait for much of a color change.

The oats I have are chopped up (not whole oats that you see when you buy oatmeal) and the packaging indicates they were steamed, not toasted. Since it appears Irish Oats are not specifically toasted and I am using some roasted barley in my recipe I may forgo the extra step of toasting the oats and see how it turns out as is. Thanks for the additional info.

If they are steamed you don't have to worry about gelatinizing them, that has already been accomplished. You can still toast them for flavor though. I always do.

Back