Jamil's Black Forest Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaxford

Reaction score
I've been working on my fall brewing schedule and was thinking about doing Jamil's Black Forest Stout (from his book Brewing Classic Styles). Has anyone brewed this beer? If so how did it turn out?

I've been working on my fall brewing schedule and was thinking about doing Jamil's Black Forest Stout (from his book Brewing Classic Styles). Has anyone brewed this beer? If so how did it turn out?

I've been looking for stout recipe. Can you post it?

for what its worth, Jamils stuff is all basic and good. a decent jumping off point, but youll want to customize it for your second brew.

I actually brewed this last weekend with some changes and questions. I brewed everything per recipe but I only added 4oz coco powder and just added 4oz of nibs to the secondary. But I was unsure of how to add the puree. Some say to add some boiling water to it, some say to just dump it. I just sanitized the cans and dumped them in. I did soak the nibs in some vodka for a few minutes. What really surprised me is how liquid the puree was and the amount. I only had a 5 gal 2nd so with all the cherry I could not get all the beer in and have a good 3"+ of sludge on the bottom. Now its bubbling again but no foam so hopefully it wont blow. It does smell great and the sample I pulled before adding the nibs and cherry have a nice coffee and hint of chocolate flavor.

Can anyone comment as to how this turned out?

I loved mine and it went in a few days after being kegged. Besides adding the nibs the only other change I would make us 1/2 tart and 1/2 sweet cherry purée. It was a tad tart for me or you could maybe add some lactose to help cut the tartness.

I loved mine and it went in a few days after being kegged. Besides adding the nibs the only other change I would make us 1/2 tart and 1/2 sweet cherry purée. It was a tad tart for me or you could maybe add some lactose to help cut the tartness.

Good to know, thank you!

Back