How long will a beer kit last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinnaker305

Reaction score
Hey folks. I have a Black Lager beer kit from Brewers Best. It's been sitting on top of the fridge for the past two years. I was wondering how long the ingredients will last. Everything has been kept in its original sealed package, in the box it came in and at room temperature. I know I'm going to have to buy more yeast and hops but what about the malt extract and the grains?

pitch it, buy more stuff. you will be able to make beer but dont you want to make GOOD beer...

pitch it, buy more stuff. you will be able to make beer but dont you want to make GOOD beer...

Worst advice ever! What would you rather have, a pile of trash, or possibly stale tasting beer? Make it and find out! Worst case scenario, the beer is bad, but you dont lose anything more than you already did.

I have no clue how long that kind of stuff lasts but I say just brew it, if for nothing more than the experience.

I would say brew it. Not because of a "you-don't-want-to-waste-it" type of mentality... but because of a "kits-and-extract-probably-sit-in-a-warehouse-for-longer-amounts-of-time" type of attitude.

But I would also say throw it out and buy new ingredients in order to increase your chances of brewing something that tastes good in the end. At least if comes out tasting wrong you can eliminate a reason.

I have commitment problems I know.

Looks like a keeper. Thanks for everyone's input. I guess I'll buy some more hops and yeast and see what happens. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Back