Something is eating my hops, Any ideas what can be.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitimany

Reaction score
This morning, I realized that something was eating the leaves of my new (first year) hops.
Any Ideas what can leaves these marks ?

ffb77291.jpg

ce098278.jpg

fb034e5e.jpg

Can I use the tabaco solution discussed in the some of the treads here.

Thanks,

Pedro

That's how my hops look, that isn't normal? Just kidding, I have no idea what it is easier. Not contributing an answer, but I'm curious if anyone has any ideas. Same small holes, no obvious bugs on my leafs that I can take pictures of. :(

Had the same problem last year. I had these tiny little bugs residing on the undersides of the leaves. I used pyrethrin to keep them away. I've been using it again this year and so far no holes in my leaves.

I've been having the same issue. I even sprayed with Orthene before they started to flower but that didn't seem to help. I spite of this problem, they just keep on growing.

thanks for the pictures. i thought there was a problem. you have nothing to worry about, even when the beetles start grinding away in a month or so. many years, certain varieties have leaves that look like lace doilies and still produce an adequate crop. once established, other than being 'topped off', there's not many bugs that can create such a problem that you have to worry about. the mites will make the leaves look 'bronze', no biggie. aphids, if allowed to get out of control, will cause some 'sooty mold' spots under/amongst the bracts but generally do not lessen the quality of your harvest much. other than fire and brimstone, there isn't much that will deter these plants from doing their thing. have a cold one and brew some beer!

Had the same problem last year. I had these tiny little bugs residing on the undersides of the leaves. I used pyrethrin to keep them away. I've been using it again this year and so far no holes in my leaves.

Be careful if you have pets that go near that area. Pyrethrin can kill cats and dogs.

I have noticed very tiny caterpillars on the underside of the leaves causing holes.

Be careful if you have pets that go near that area. Pyrethrin can kill cats and dogs.

Pyrethrin is a relatively safe insecticide for pets and one of the most common AI's found in flea treatments, even if a dog or cat ingests some it typically breaks down in their stomach acid and causes no ill effect, poisoning can happen but it is very rare... Permethrin, the synthetic version of Pyrethrin however is a different story and not as kind to cats.:cross:

Pyrethrin is a relatively safe insecticide for pets and one of the most common AI's found in flea treatments, even if a dog or cat ingests some it typically breaks down in their stomach acid and causes no ill effect, poisoning can happen but it is very rare... Permethrin, the synthetic version of Pyrethrin however is a different story and not as kind to cats.:cross:

You have basically just stated the equivalent that Arsenic will not kill people because it is in the food we eat (and it is).

Sorry, man. Pyrethrin can be deadly to any pet in a relatively small dose (though not always of course) - it's all about application. Why do you think you are instructed to apply flea preventative to the back of the neck - so they cannot lick it off. All they have to do is walk on freshly treated yard area, lick their paws and they can go toxic. Do you have any experience with treating Pyrethretic animals??? If not you should stick to commenting on experience instead of what you pull from the quick Google search. If so then speak to that experience with an example. Pyrethrin is NOT pet ingestion safe at all and should be avoided. The only thing you got right is that Permethrin is even more toxic.

My wife (emergency vet) treats Pyrethrin toxicity fairly often and it is usually not fatal with treatment. Much of the time it is overdose because a cat/feline is given canine flea preventative. Dog prev is not only a larger dose, but a stronger dose, so cutting back a dog dose for a cat requires looking at the dosage strength, not just the size - most homeowners fail to recognize this and thus they toxify their cat. She has also seen cases of toxicity due to yard spraying.

BTW - The synthetic derivative, Permethrin, should never be used on cats in any circumstance.

It baffles me that people spread misinformation of such important topics without any real knowledge (or giving any experiential examples).

I know this about Pyrethrins. When applied to plants as directed the toxicity is gone within hours of application. That's why you came spray and harvest the same day. But while it is still toxic YOU should be careful and keep your pets away.

You have basically just stated the equivalent that Arsenic will not kill people because it is in the food we eat (and it is).
Correct to some degree, like all things it comes down to the amount of exposure. We have all been exposed to Roxarsone but we aren't dropping dead from consuming chicken; we have all been exposed to cigarette smoke either directly or second hand yet we won't all die from it.

Sorry, man. Pyrethrin can be deadly to any pet in a relatively small dose (though not always of course)
Here's an opportunity to better educate me, define or better yet quantify what a "relatively small dose" is.
Let’s look at the oral LD50 of a 1% pyrethrin based product, for a male rat you are talking about 2140mg/kg, conversely (and I apologize this isn't quite apples to apples but you get the idea) the LD50 from the venom of a Honey bee on mice is 2.8 mg/kg... I'll take my chances with the pyrethrin.

Do you have any experience with treating Pyrethretic animals???
No I do not, nor did I ever encourage anyone to sprinkle some pyrethrin on their pets food and I am sure your wife has seen animals who became sick from exposure to a lawn application but I am willing to bet the amount of animals she has seen versus the amount of animals exposed to pyrethrin is very, very small. I doubt anyone else besides you and I really care about this side topic so if you want to get into a much more detailed discussion, shoot me a PM, I think you'll be surprised at just how much I know about certain insectides:D
For those who are concerned about using a "pesticide" on their hops, have a look into Diatomaceous Earth, not quite as effective but I doubt there is any argument regarding its safety.
Sorry for the unintended hijack.

I don't spray with stuff I wouldn't drink (pesticides=poison)....with my hops, I get tons of Aphids, which might be what you have...of course, if you had Aphids you would see them.....anyhoo, i use natural remedies. Here are my "go-to's"
1. Ladybugs---they're about $8 and they eat bugs that eat hops. The con is that they fly away when the food is gone...then you have to buy more.
2. Organic soap and water---Just mix up some soap and water in a sprayer and spray it on. Con is you have to do it daily :(
3. Water. Just spray some water on the bugs you see. Con is, again, you ahve to do it daily.

Back