BIAB With Blichmann TOP?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm resurrecting this old thread because I was wondering the very same question. I haven't been able to find any threads in which anyone has tried this. It seems like it should work in principal....

I haven't scraped up the cash to buy the ToP control unit, but I am building the plumbing and recirculation system that it uses on the tower stand. That will give me the RIMS portion of the system, and I'll manually control the burner for now.

Hate to bump my own thread, but looks like I'm going to pick up the ToP for my BIAB setup. I had priced doing a nice electric RIMS tube setup, but it was only about $75 less and I'd still have to put everything together. And I'd still need the burner for the boil, so it seemed a little counterproductive.

you buying the whole stand or just the module? ya could save a few bucks and just get the module and make your own system..after the pump just put a ball valve, nipple, and a tee. the pid probe just goes into the tee..

Have you seen this thread?

Not sure if this helps with your equipment purchase decision but it seems there will be more to come soon from Blichmann...

I am doing BIAB with TOP control module only...only one batch since I added the module but it worked fantastically. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Have you seen this thread?

Not sure if this helps with your equipment purchase decision but it seems there will be more to come soon from Blichmann...

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that. I expect it will be pretty pricey, and probably require 240v. I guess I'll sit tight for now and wait for pricing on the RIMS Rocket and new controller.

Here is mine during the inaugural batch - it was a doppelbock with the full gamut of step mashes.

image-3346086346.jpg

I am also considering a jump to Blichmann. I currently have a keggle and brew BIAB style with a gas burner. Mash temp stability is my biggest problem - and the TOP seemed like a good fit.

The Boil Coil and RIMS rocket also seem cool, but I'm not sure whether having a mixed gas/electric system is a good long term solution when the TOP itself may be the simplest and equally flexible approach.

Iansir - how have you found that set up? Do you get good temp control? Ease of set-up/breakdown? In an ideal world - would the actual tower be the way to go?

Thanks

The setup is really slick. Incredibly consistent temp control - every few mins it fires the burner for a few seconds. I no longer have to babysit the burner when I am trying to hold temps - I was losing 10+ degrees easily with my stainless pot and recirc only. Setup is a breeze, it is very quick to setup and disconnect, just a few wires that plug right in. I see no reason to get the tower, it just looks like more to clean and maintain for me - I prefer to minimize my footprint since I don't have a garage.

No issues, it is no different than a typical recirculating biab setup. No stuck sparges here!

Thats looks awesome! Where did you get the flow meter and do you find it useful? Do you have an alarm on it like the TOP does?

Thanks!

I'll have to look up the info on the flow meter, but will post it up. It's useful to monitor flow so you don't overflow the grain bed and kettle, and let's you know if the flow is blocked.

No alarm yet, but will probably buy the sensor when I buy the ToP controller.

The setup is really slick. Incredibly consistent temp control - every few mins it fires the burner for a few seconds. I no longer have to babysit the burner when I am trying to hold temps - I was losing 10+ degrees easily with my stainless pot and recirc only. Setup is a breeze, it is very quick to setup and disconnect, just a few wires that plug right in. I see no reason to get the tower, it just looks like more to clean and maintain for me - I prefer to minimize my footprint since I don't have a garage.

I BIAB in a 15 gallon Boilermaker. After stirring in my grain I cover up my pot with several layers of blankets. That does a pretty good job of holding in the heat. On a cold windy wintery day i will still lose a couple of degrees. I might restart the burner for a minute, mix it in, and cover up again.

I'm pretty interested in this setup. I think I may do something very similar. I'm pretty set on a rims and don't want to DIY for something like this.

The build is nearly identical to any recirculating BIAB setup. I'd suggest a search for those threads for better inspiration.

Thought I would update this with the next level....10 gal version! This is very much like blichmanns new breweasy system, keep all the grains in the mash tun and recirc through boil kettle for rims. In my case my mash tun was full so I supplemented with 8# grain in boil kettle in bag. Time for a bigger mash tun....ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390369861.394879.jpg

The build is nearly identical to any recirculating BIAB setup. I'd suggest a search for those threads for better inspiration.

Thought I would update this with the next level....10 gal version! This is very much like blichmanns new breweasy system, keep all the grains in the mash tun and recirc through boil kettle for rims. In my case my mash tun was full so I supplemented with 8# grain in boil kettle in bag. Time for a bigger mash tun....View attachment 173985

what benefits do you think your breweasy like system has over the other setup you posted (biab with TOP recirc)? I know blichmann claims better clarity and higher eff over biab.

Latest posts

Back