turkey fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oguss0311

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a turkey fryer as a starting point for my AG equipment.
Any thoughts? I know a few others a doing this. I bet it comes with an aluminum pot- but I'm looking into modifying a keg into a brew pot ASAP anyway.
Thoughts?...........................

Ummmm.....YES(?)... Sorry, I just don't see a real question!;)

It's kinda like:"I want to make beer, lots of other people do, should I?"

Maybe you just want to make absolutely sure. Cool!

Yes, I myself brew using a turkey fryer and the pot it came with. It works great.

If you can find a larger fryer, say a 40 - 44 qt, the need for a keggle is kinda mitigated. Keggles are great as they can do 5 or 10 gal. batches. I scored a 44qt turkey fryer and it is a great middleground b/w a smaller fryer and a 60qt. keggle.

My turkey fryer pot holds 7 gal, and is perfect for full boils of 5 gal batches. I just added a Ball valve/SS braid to mine so I can also use it as a MLT if needed. Also the SS braid comes in handy for draining when using whole hops during my boil. I'll probably use it as a MLT for step mashes, but will liekly still use my cooler tun for Single infusion mashes.

I do 5 gallon batches and my 7.5 gallon kettle is functional but I'd like bigger.

Other than that, turkey fryers are GREAT additions to a brewey.

RICLARK said:
I got one that is 160,000Btu And it is a beast try to find one that big.

Thats exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for- I will look for that size btu output.

Thanks all!

You'll need something big to boil all that brew. If the aluminum stockpot isn't something you need, you can buy outdoor burners without the pot. They tend to cost more, but you get a better burner because you are not paying for the extras.

cheezydemon said:
Yes, I myself brew using a turkey fryer and the pot it came with. It works great.

Excellent. I bought a 40qt fryer + burner to use for boils but haven't cranked it up yet.

And I gotta work this weekend!:mad:

Back