How Do You Describe the Flavor of Kombucha?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyPappy2x

Reaction score
I just started keeping Kombucha, and am loving it. Some unique flavors and mouthfeelings come up. One that really intrigues me is the soft, almost numbing sweet sensation in the back of my tongue/top of the throat. It comes on about 5 seconds after taking a drink. Can you relate?

What tastes/flavors/sensations have you had with Kombucha? I would love to hear some of the language you all ascribe to this amazing beverage.

Cheers,
Corbin

When people ask what Kombucha tastes like I say, "here, try this!". :)

It's hard to describe without vinegar, and many kombucha virgins aren't into the idea of drinking vinegar. So I just let them taste it and decide. For sake of your question though, I'd call it a tangy, tart, slightly effervescent version of iced T.

For a beer analogy, to me a Tea-Kombucha is sort of like Ale-Brett fermented Ale. I've found people who like sour beers also tend to like Kombucha.

Flavor depends on the type of tea used, length of fermentation, and how long it ages in the bottle. Also of course, any additional flavors like ginger or fruit. There's always a recognizable kombucha flavor, but KT made with straight green tea is different from KT made with pu'ehr or kukicha.

I have aged kombucha in bottles for over a year. It can wind up tasting a lot like a very, very dry red wine. My friends used to give some of my batches names like Old Oak Leaves or Texas Saddle Squeezins.

Back