Is this normal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EPS

Reaction score
I brewed a German alt today pitched US05 dry not hydrated on top after aerating after pitching I swirled the carboy around a few times and it looks like some of the yeast is in a clump will it be ok I pitched at 70 F

image-4226953160.jpg

image-1248999889.jpg

image-3273220975.jpg

Oh and i pitched this yeast about 4 and a half hrs ago

Update this mourning yeast has spread out and started to drop looks like fermentation has started so things look ok got temps to 60-62 i'v never fermented a beer with this low of temps but everyone says its the best way to go so will see usually ferment at like 70 F so excited to see how much better the beer comes out

Perfectly normal. Those are yeast rafts that do settle back into the beer. US-05 can go a bit lower,but 62F or so is good for a cleaner beer. But US-05 can go up to 22C (71.6F) & still ferment clean.

Next time spend the extra few minutes to rehydrate the dry yeast according to the manufacturer specs. Otherwise you are losing a significant amount of cells. and it won't look scary like your pics here.
cheers.

Back