Holiday Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccarulli

Reaction score
I bought an ingredient kit for a holiday ale (Fireside Winter Warmer). Over the weekend i had a Blue Moon Special Spiced Winter Ale that i felt was way too heavy on the cinnamon and spices. My concern now is that if i add the spices to the beer im brewing it will also be spice heavy. Has anyone brewed this kit or know how intense the spice flavoring is if added to the beer? FYI- the spices a vodka potion added prior to bottling.

Thanks!

Spiced amber ale? To me it tastes like snickerdoodles (in a good way) acually really like this stuff more of an after dinner/desert beer
Depends on how much spice and which spice was includied in the pack. We will be able to help you adjust if you post whats included

I've found out the hard way that it's best to add bottling extracts a teaspoon or so at a time, stir in gently, taste and add more until you like what you have. They will mellow in time, so you may want to add enough so it's just on the verge of too much if you want to drink it right out of conditioning/aging.

I'm not familiar with the kit but if it is a vodka potion that you are adding prior to bottling then once you rack all of your beer to your bottling bucket you should just add a little bit of the potion, swirl it a bit, take a taste and then decide if you want to add more. Get the correct flavor you want before actually bottling and capping then you should be good to go. Do note that the spices will fade a little bit over time. Cheers!

The spice potion was as follows:
5 inches cinnamon stick (finely chopped)
5 tsp. nutmeg
1 vanilla bean (finely chopped)

To this i added:
3/4 cup of vodka (called for one cup)
1/4 cup of Bourbon (called for none)
a dash of vanilla bourbon extract

Was also considering adding some figs to the secondary, but am still on the fence here.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help- obviously i know messing with ingredients like this is part of the fun, but since im brewing it for the family for christmas i don't have the luxury of 'getting it right next time'

Back