Just had a Bottle Bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30639

Reaction score
Scared the crap out of me. I was in bed reading when I heard glass breaking. At first, I figured the cat knocked something over, but she was in bed too. Went into the kitchen and see beer all over the walls, top of the kegerator and glass everywhere. I've had a few bottle bombs before, but never anything that had made this big of a mess. Still not sure why.

Oh well, at least the SWMBO was out of town. Everything is cleaned up, nothing she needs to know about ;)

Had one the other night too. Just drank a six pack and they were perfect. Tonight my wife opened one and it blew its $#!?
Not a drinkable drop left in the bottle:p

Scared the crap out of me. I was in bed reading when I heard glass breaking. At first, I figured the cat knocked something over, but she was in bed too. Went into the kitchen and see beer all over the walls, top of the kegerator and glass everywhere. I've had a few bottle bombs before, but never anything that had made this big of a mess. Still not sure why.

Oh well, at least the SWMBO was out of town. Everything is cleaned up, nothing she needs to know about ;)

Hi TS. If you have had a few bottle bombs and continue to have them, something is not right. No need for this to happen.

Hi TS. If you have had a few bottle bombs and continue to have them, something is not right. No need for this to happen.

The previous bottle bombs were a couple years ago and I'm pretty sure I figured out the cause of those. This time I'm not sure. I had given some bottles away and no one said they were over carbonated.

It could be as simple as a dirty bottle causing fermentation in the bottle.

To amplify on that, it could be a wild bug or yeast from any source (the bottle, your bottling wand, your tubing, your fermenter) which went on fermenting in your bottle. In other words, a sanitation issue.

The previous bottle bombs were a couple years ago and I'm pretty sure I figured out the cause of those. This time I'm not sure. I had given some bottles away and no one said they were over carbonated.

They didn't get back to you because they were killed by glass shrapnel!

I had a cider that I made as a first time try. It over carbonated so I tried to pop them off in my bottling bucket and save what I could. They'd been in bottles for 3-4 months when I did this. Me and my brother carried them outside to minimize the mess and while one of the six packs was sitting on the ground a bottle blew up when he reached down. Nearly took out his eye. The whole neck top piece came off.

I've been having carbonation issues with our last two batches from a few months ago. Decided to take the scrungiest ones in the kitchen,& pour hot water in them for a 1 hour soak. Others were still wet inside,so they got rinsed,bottle brushed,& rinsed again.
The hot water ones got brushed in bot directions,dumped & filled with cold water & brushed & rinsed again. Slick as a hound's tooth now. I'm gunna add the brushing to the rinsing out process now. Wanna be sure no compacted residue remains to mess me up. That,& not let so many bottles accumulate before my hot,lazy behind get's them cleaned out properly.

Back