keezer collar help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyb85

Reaction score
Im planning my keezer collar and i was hoping to do either 1.5" walnut or oak for the wood with 1.5" of insulation behind it but all the lumber yards locally only do 1", which is actually .75". Now my question is would there be any downside to making the collar out of two .75" thick pieces sealed with liquid nails and then the insulation behind that? Thanks

Shouldnt be an issue. The biggest thing you need to consider with a collar is just getting it sealed at the top, bottom and corners. 1 layer of wood or 2 layers of wood glued together shoudnt make any difference.

If you use epoxy instead of liquid nails then you would have no air gaps between the boards and you will have one solid 1.5" board.

Is there a reason to need 1 1/2" ?

I would think that 1" lumber would be plenty, and it would allow you to have thicker foam. By the time you glue the foam board to it, you should be fine. The foam itself will add strength to it and it will be better insulated.

well i wanted to have at least 1" of wood before the foam. When lumber says that its 1" its actually only .75" so in order to have 1" you need to buy larger than 1" thickness and plane it down or buy two pieces and place them together.

You should be fine with 3/4", and as far as that goes, 1/2". The foam board itself, glued together, will give you structurally integrity.

I actually found a lumber yard that sells walnut at actual thickness of 1.25. So that's what I'm going to go with!

Back