asked for a carboy got a demijohn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steber

Reaction score
So for Christmas a friend got me a 6.5gallon demijohn. I have a 5 gallon carboy i use as a secondary and wanted a bigger carboy for a primary (with airlock). The demijohn I got for christmas came in a plastic cribbing. From what I have been reading a DJ has a thinner wall. I also noticed on the bottom of the DJ it has a concave bottom. Will this be a problem when the sediment falls to the bottom?

So anyways, should i keep the DJ and use it or try and take it back to my LHBS?

I'd love a DJ. On our scale the fermenter shape won't matter. What will matter is if it fits into your temp control scheme. It should be safer to use with the plastic 'basket' around it for protection.

from wikipedia:

In brewing, a carboy is also known as a demijohn.

Post a picture. It sounds like you have a 6.5gal "carboy" and everything should be A-ok.

Here's a picture of the glass I got. The first picture shows the basket it came with. The second shows the concavity of the bottom I'm speaking of.

Spring Chicken: If you try searching for 25 L DemiJohn you'll find what I'm talking about.

What I'm used to is a standard glass carboy. tall side walls, with a small neck. This is a lot rounder then my 5 gallon carboy. I think I can still fit it in my swamp box for temp control it's just the shape that's out of the norm to me.

My biggest concern about this piece of glass is the concavity at the bottom. Will this be a benefit or a hindrance when racking?

I have two theorys how this could work out:

The good: The trub slides to the sides/bottom of the concavity and allows me to rack off the center high point.

The bad: the trub cake just gathers on the whole surface and when i rack i lose 12 oz or so of beer due to the concavity.

What do you guys think?

IMAG0253.jpg

IMAG0254.jpg

I have a few older carboys that are about that concave. I like it. Before racking I put a wedge under one side of the carboy and wait a few hours for it to settle again. When I rack there is a low spot at the 'top' without trub. Works great.

If you were closer I'd trade for that in a second. Even if I ended up hating it, it would be fun to mess around with.

well that certainly fits the definition of a traditional demijohn, wicker basket and all. there really is no definitive answer to your question, just get whatever you want more.

but since you took all this time to post, I think you really want a standard carboy.

well that certainly fits the definition of a traditional demijohn, wicker basket and all. there really is no definitive answer to your question, just get whatever you want more.

but since you took all this time to post, I think you really want a standard carboy.

I wouldn't say "really want".. I defiantly had my mind on a standard carboy. I was just fearful that this style was more less for wine and not often used for beer. Anytime I see something new I want all the details so I can fully understand what I'm getting myself into. :D

Thanks for the replies, I feel more comfortable about keeping it. Yet I'm still up in the air whether to try and exchange it or hold on to it. Any one else have any more experience/info on this style?

I also thought it was going to be a standard carboy when I first saw this thread. The smaller sized demijohns are not as prevalent than the full sized ones.
I would definitely keep that over a standard carboy. It already has handles, is covered and I think it would actually be easier to clean.

-cheers

I'm torn on whether or not to keep it. I'm worried that the glass is too thin for my fumble-prone hands. My 5 gallon carboy is roughly 30 years old so the walls are quite thick. Maybe I'm over worrying about the whole thing.

the concave bottom would be nice to rack off since there should be little sediment on it. However if you are worried about cleaning it, that is also a valid concern. Look at the price of the 25L DJ and see if they are much more. If so you might be able to get a couple of carboys out of it!

I'm going to head over to the LHBS tomorrow and see if i can work out any deals. I might just end up keeping it, but if i can trade it in for a carboy + airlock, handle, and stopper I might have to reconsider.

I'm going to head over to the LHBS tomorrow and see if i can work out any deals. I might just end up keeping it, but if i can trade it in for a carboy + airlock, handle, and stopper I might have to reconsider.

You shouldn't use a carboy handle to lift a full carboy - a better way is either a milkcrate or a BrewHauler:
Amazon.com: The Brew Hauler - Carboy Carrier: Kitchen & Dining

The BrewHauler should also be available at your LHBS.

I've heard several stories of people being badly cut by carrying or holding full carboys, so I only carry a full or partly full carboy in a milkcrate or BrewHauler (both work great). If I have a carboy full of cleaning solution, I siphon most of it out before turning the carboy upside down to empty it. And because the sides are straight, you can roll the carboy back and forth to slosh the cleaning solution or rinse water around, which would be hard to do with that demijohn.

Or you might want to consider a BetterBottle - they work just fine and there is no danger injury from broken glass.

Thanks for the advice. I never carry a full carboy by the handle. I prefer the handle for cleaning so the rascal doesn't get away from me.

At any rate: I went to the LHBS today and looked around. The decision was a no brainer! I Traded in the DJ for a Carboy and was able to get the airlock, thermometer, handle, stopper, and a pack of bottle caps! Now both my car boys will fit into my swamp cooler side by side. Much happier with the carboy. Heres a picture of the new addition to my family. :rockin:

IMAG0255.jpg

Back