Sours in Coopers fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
I have 2 of these bad boys and want to convert at least one to using for sours. They are known for not having a tight lid and I am used to no bubbles in the airlock for most of the batches. Since I know that gases get out I am sure there is a lot more oxygen coming in as well. I've read that too much oxygen can be bad for sours since bugs are anaerobic. I think between Coopers, bucket and BB Coopers is the most leaking. Will I be ok or what?

I let a sour go in a Cooper's plastic fermenter for ~3 months. It turned out very well. You might consider putting a thin layer of keg lube on the lid gasket to achieve a better seal.

You do want a small, constant supply of oxygen in the fermenter to avoid one-dimensional sour flavors. Most carboy sours incorporate a submerged stick to allow oxygen in-flow.

What kind of sour did you do in 3 months? I was thinking 6 months as a minimum for some style such as BW. Roesalare or Lambic blend I would do at least a year.

For a 5 gallon batch, a 2 liter sour starter will produce faster results. The bacteria are facing a hostile environment (low pH and alcohol), so numbers expedite the souring process.

With a larger sour starter, you lose complexity from the bugs. The more they have to work, the better it gets.

Back