when to add maltodextrin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

size

Reaction score
hey guys, brewing a porter, and since my LHBS doesn't have carapils 3L, i'm going to use maltodextrin to increase mouthfeel and body.

it's a 60 minute boil with DME and a late LME addition. hops @ 60, 30, 5.

Thanks!

-size

You can put the maltodextrin in at any time, since it's not fermentable. When I would add it I'd do it during the last part of the boil, but you can even add it at bottling.

Oatmeal is also great for mouthfeel and body. Not sure if you can steep them or not, I use them in all grain batches...

Sure you can steep oatmeal! Matter of fact, I'd recommend steeping it and squeezing the tar out of the grain bag. It is one of few adjuncts you can do that with. Put it in a separate bag, as squeezing your specialty grains can impart a certain astringency to your beer.

Regarding maltodextrin, 10-15 minutes is perfect.

I believe maltodextrin adds to head also.... Don't go overboard with it if you use it, it doesn't take much.

I brew Gluten Free because I am celiac and if you don't use Maltodextrin the head is terrible, one thing you don't ever want in your life is bad head. Around 90% of the recipes that I have made called for 8oz of maltodextrin at 5 min remaining, the stuff takes some time to blend into the wort, but if you are brewing gluten free it is pretty much essential as sanitation. I use it in my 5 gallon size brews, but then again, this is gluten free so for the "normal" people out there a little less might be ok. Further, only 5% of Maltodextrin is fermentable so I suppose it doesn't matter too much, it also adds a little extra solids in the yeast cake during fermentation (just an FYI).

Can you guys recommend how much maltodextrin to add to an extract Blonde ale that otherwise has no specialty grains? Would 8oz per 5 gallons still be appropriate or would that be too much body for a Blonde ale?

You may want to look up a free download program called Brewmate. That may help you out.

There are some others available also.

...check out the threads appearing at the bottom of the page also.

Back