Flask or Beaker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goybar

Reaction score
I broke my 3L Erlenmeyer Flask, just barely clinked it against my 1 Liter Erlenmeyer and cracked it.

Now I need a new one for my starters.

I'm thinking 4000 ml makes more sense, a little extra room to avoid boil overs.

Why would I not want to go with a 4000 ml Borosilicate Beaker?

I always just put aluminum foil over the top anyway while on the stir plate.

With the wide opening seems like it would be easier to control potential boil overs, and would be easier to fit in refrigerator (shorter).

Thanks

Chris

That is where I'm coming from, I need to buy again.

Is there an advantage one over the other...

I can pick up a 4 pack off of Amazon for $103.50. If I split with another brewing friend $26/per.

Not a bad price.

Chris

I've thought the same thing. A beaker makes a lot of sense. The only issue I see is the opening may be difficult to cover properly to keep out nasties. For boiling though I think it's a better option. Moving it may be an issue though.

I've switched to a 1.5L coffee pot recently and I love it. I haven't had a boil-over yet becase of the wide opening.

I didn't know there was a difference either, I assumed that a beaker and flask were the same thing.

With my Erlenmeyer flask I would spray some starsan on a piece of aluminum foil and bend it around the neck.

I don't think doing the same with a beaker would pose any issue.

I think boil overs would be less likely with a beaker.

I don't see any downside, hence my post. Everyone seems to go with a flask, as I did.

I suppose if I used an airlock it would be an issue...

I think you'd need these for picking it up and moving it. The shape of the beaker would make it pretty difficult to handle when hot.

http://www.sciencelabsupplies.com/Silicone-Hot-Hand-Protector-Beaker-Flask.html

I broke a 5000ml flask a few months back. Just barely bumped it and the whole side collapsed. It was only the second time I'd used it too. It's amazing how something that can stand up to hot/cold can be so fragile.

If you have a stir plate a beaker is fine. If you're a swirler, a flask is much easier to swirl without sloshing out the top. In all the discussions I've read, flasks have the advantage in transportation and handling, but beakers are more size-efficient and have less risk of boil-over. If you can move your hot beaker without dropping it, go with that.

if you use a stirplate, a vessel with a flat bottom for the stirbar works best. Beaker or flask in my mind is personal preference.

Try to find the beaker in 'tall form'. Works much better on a stir plate with the smaller diameter in relation to height.

A flask works better if you try to do multi-step starters, it is easier to decant a erlenmeyer flask than a beaker. For a single step starter either should work fine.

Personally i use a flower vase and it fits 2.5 liter starters very nice. Plus it is easy to pour the starter in and out of.

Back