whats best for my fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
im going to be building a fermentation chamber soon, and i cant decide what the best way to go. Should i use a mini fridge, small chest freezer, or an small ac unit. I would like to be able to ferment 2 or 3 6.5 G carboys/buckets, and would also like to be able to do a lager now and then.

Mini fridge would be too small for more than one fermenter.

i forgot to mention that i would be building it bigger.

i was thinking that it would be cheaper to buy chest freezer, and be done with it, rather than buy a mini fridge, wood, insulation, etc.

if i was to go with the chest freezer, what else would i need to buy?

I had the same question, and my original thought was to build my keg-o-rator out of a side by side, with one side being the fermentation chamber, the other being the keg cooler. But I would also like to have the larger capacity of a top and bottom 'fridge for more kegs. So my question is this: For those who are running two separate devices, how much does it effect your utility bill? I'm can handle getting used appliances off Craigslist, but I dont want to spend an additional $50/mo on electricity. Thanks!

Mini fridge would be too small for more than one fermenter.

Bullsh¡t. Check this out: My DIY Fermentation Chamber

I would go with a chest freezer.

I agree, make your life easy, DIY projects are fun, but they are time consuming, and IMO if you find a great deal on CL it will actually save you money, plus the opportunity cost of doing the work.

chest freezer. Pick up an ebay controller and build a collar. I've got mine setup so I can use it as a backup kegerator as well..

Make a dedicated Ferm Chamber. Mini-Fridge for kegerator (if you only plan on having a keg or two on tap at a time). Otherwise, seek out a second chest freezer for Keezer.

Back