DIPA Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUNningonbrew

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions for this DIPA recipe, want to make it a little lighter on the color. Is it possible to get extract beers lighter in color? Thanks.

5 gallons extract with grains; OG = 1.080, FG = 1.018, IBU = 100, SRM = 13

Ingredients:

• 6 lbs. (2.7 kg) Briess Golden Light liquid malt extract
• 3.5 lbs. (1.6 kg) Briess Golden Light dried malt extract
• 0.75 lb. Crisp Crystal 15L
• 0.75 lb. Crisp Crystal 45L
• 1 lb. Gambrinus Honey Malt 15-20L
• 0.5 lb. (0.23 kg) carapils malt
• Nugget hops (60 mins.) (1 oz. of 13.3% alpha acids)
• Columbus hops (60 mins.) (1 oz. of 13.9% alpha acids)
• Amarillo hops (30 mins.) (1 oz. of 9.3% alpha acids)
• Centennial hops (30 mins.) (1 oz. of 8.7% alpha acids)
• Cascade hops (30 mins.) (1 oz. of 5% alpha acids)
• Amarillo hops (end of boil) (1 oz. of 9.3% alpha acids)
• Centennial hops (end of boil) (1 oz. of 8.7% alpha acids)
• Cascade hops (end of boil) (1 oz. of 5% alpha acids)
• Amarillo leaf hops (dry hop) (1 oz. of 10.4% alpha acids)
• Centennial leaf hops (dry hop) (1 oz. of 10.5% alpha acids)
• Cascade leaf hops (dry hop) (1 oz. of 7.1% alpha acids)
• 1/2 tsp. Irish Moss (last 15 min. of boil)
• Safale US-05 dry yeast, rehydrated
• 3/4 C. corn sugar for priming

The only thing that will help get lighter colors from extract is putting it in late in the boil (or at flameout) and making sure it's not on the heat when you pour it in (so it doesn't caramelize/scorch).

You could even do a 20 minute boil instead of a 60 minute boil and load up on hops to attain that bitterness. In addition to a partial/late extract addition, I recommend using Pilsen or Extra Light DME. The Briess Golden Light product is 5 Lovibond (Color Rating). The other aforementioned DMEs are 3 L or less. LME will be even darker than DME.

Also, Carapils is unnecessary when using extract since it is already inherent in extract. The last tip for making your beer lighter would be to scratch medium or dark crystal and honey malt in your beer. These are darker malts so if you want light, I recommend sticking with 15 L crystal or less. - 2.5 lbs. of crystal and honey malt is wayyyyy overboard by the way. For an IPA, I'd say use none or 1/2 lb... 3/4 lb. tops.

"3/4 C. corn sugar for priming"

Am I interpreting this correctly? Is that a reference to sugar added at time of bottling?

I like the recipe and the following advice. I may be brewing this up this weekend - Ah, who am I kidding? I'll substitute hops types as required to consume the current bulk hops inventory in my freezer...but I like the recipe.

Back