Memorial Day Toast to the fallen.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zamial

Reaction score
I have been thinking about this for some time now and while I think memorial weekend is needed, we seem to loose perspective of why the holiday exists. This is not true for everyone but as a "blanket statement" I feel it is fairly accurate.

I felt a great feeling during the AHA Big Brew day when we did the noon toast knowing that there were folks all over the country doing the same thing as we were. I feel that it would be a great idea to institute the 6pm "Toast to the Fallen".

At 5:58 anyone that wants to participate will need to prep an American owned beer or American style home brew. At 5:59 we picture a fallen loved one, friend or colleague in out minds. If you do not know of someone that fits this description picture Lady Liberty herself hold her torch high. Then at 6pm we toast. This should be in your time zone to symbolize that as time and freedom march forward.

I feel that 6pm is a good time because people should be returning from the weekend and most people that are employed/have to work should be home by that time. I hope that you will not only join me but will help spread this idea.

:mug:

Great idea. Below is a little piece I wrote today concerning my feelings toward Memorial Day

For the past few days I’ve been seeing commercials for large discounts on new cars, watching news anchors discuss what they would be doing with their time off this weekend, hearing radio host talk about going to tennis tournaments, and children’s excitement of getting out of school for the summer. What I have not seen a lot of is people discussing their plans to honor this country’s fallen heroes. Not once have I heard any broadcaster say, “You know this weekend I’m going to take a moment or two and reflect upon the people who have died to preserve my freedoms.”
It has sadly occurred to me that the majority of Americans no longer think of Memorial Day weekend as a time to honor the fallen, but more of a kick off to summer festivities. The majority of Americans will spend this weekend at the lake, on a beach vacation, having a cookout, or watching the Coca Cola 600. It will be party time with little thought or concern to the meaning behind the holiday. Some will spend it in a drunken stupor wishing to forget the faces, voices, touch, laughter, and smile of the person they loved that was killed in action. Few will spend the weekend in remembrance.
I am not against the festivities; it is this type of fellowship that makes America the great country that it is. However, while this fellowship and celebration is happening let us take a moment to truly honor the ones that have died to make it possible. Honor SSgt. Jason Whitehouse, who could make anyone laugh. Honor SSgt. William Callahan who never got to meet his son. Honor 1st lt. Jason Mann whose enthusiasm was often greater than everyone around him. Do not just nod in approval as a 30 second patriotic commercial comes on the television. Truly honor those that deserve it. With the resources of today it is easy to find the name, face, and story of one or many who have died in combat. Set a plate at your BBQ but leave it empty, visit your local veterans’ cemetery and lay a flower, raise a glass of your favorite cold one; not just in general but to a specific individual, make it personal.
Let us not forget. Do not forget that each of those dead is someone’s son, daughter, father, mother, husband, wife, brother, or sister. Somewhere while everyone is celebrating the long weekend someone is grieving the loss of their loved one. Let us not forget, that it was their sacrifice that gives us the freedoms and leisure we enjoy today.

Israel Patterson
Sgt. USMC
2004-2009

Harry William Anderson, Jr.

His mom is my father's sister.

index_04.jpg

I'm in! I couldn't agree more. To my Uncle Jim.

A co-worker of mine said her parents visit the graves of dead ancestors on memorial day, and always have. Kansas, got to love the grain belt, they do hold tight the core values.

I'm putting my flags out RIGHT NOW!

I'll be at Arlington National Cemetary Monday to pay respects and give thanks.

To George Okins. My friends dad. WWII vet. Tanker in The Battle of the Bulge. Medal of Honor recipient for Valor.

I thought this was a good image. I feel you may agree.

We must never forget those who gave us these rights. There is just to many to mention.

Cost.jpg

As a veteran myself, I look at every veteran, or soldier as a brother. Every Memorial Day, I honor our fallen brothers in some small way. If I'm at home on Monday, I plan on drinking to those that made the ultimate sacrifice for our country. If I'm not home (due to work), I will do it another day. I also plan on honoring my grandfather, who was a WW2 vet, my uncle that fell in Vietnam, and friends that fell in Afghanistan and Iraq. These guys honored us by giving their lives for our beliefs; we should honor them every chance we get, not just on Memorial Day.

I do say it is sad to lose a Soldier, Airmen, Seaman, or Marine. But the ones that come home with TBI or some other ****ty physical or mental illness are the ones that have really have do deal with the S#*t. The families of the lost have to deal with the grief then move on, the families of the wounded deal with it for the rest of their soldiers life.

Back