Beer in the Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popscube

Reaction score
What does it mean when there is beer in the airlock? I put a robust porter in the fermenter Saturday and Sunday it started bubbling. When I checked it this morning there was beer in the airlock and no bubbles. Also there was beer residue on the outside of the bucket (I can't think of the technical term right now). Do I panic? I cleaned out the airlock ( with sanitizer) and stuck it back on, and checked to make sure the seal was still good (it is), is there anything else?

Thanks,
Popscube

Nothing to panic about. Your beer had a very active fermentation and pushed the foam (called krausen) into the airlock. Just clean up the airlock and you should be fine. Try to avoid opening the fermenter unnecessarily, though. You'll want to check the lid and make sure it's well seated as well. Just push down all around the ridge but don't remove it.

Congrats. It sounds like your beer's off to a great start.

RDWHAHB.

Did you put more than 5 gallons in the bucket? How big is your bucket?

Take the airlock out, clean it, sanitize it, put it back on and fill it with vodka. Life will be good.

This does happen when you have a violent fermentation.

Thanks,

I'll relax then. Cleaned the airlock, checked the seal and it all looks good. Why vodka intead of water?

There's zero chance of any nasties living in vodka, just in case a bit gets sucked back into the fermenter.

trencher said:
There's zero chance of any nasties living in vodka, just in case a bit gets sucked back into the fermenter.

Yep. Depending on where you live, you can get a 1/2 gallon of cheap vodka for 9 bucks or better. It will last a very long time. I'm still on one from over a year ago. That's all I use to fill airlocks.

popscube said:
Thanks,

I'll relax then. Cleaned the airlock, checked the seal and it all looks good. Why vodka intead of water?

If you move the fermenter, you run the risk of causing air to be sucked through the airlock and into you fermenter. If you have just water in the airlock, the air sucked through it and into the fermenter can harbor bacteria and fungus that can spoil your beer. Vodka is unlikely to harbor such nasties and is safer for the brew in the event it gets drawn into it and is flavor neutral so it won't affect the beers taste.

Back