White floating things in my carboy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewbieMan5000

Reaction score
My brew has been setting for about 3 months. I havent looked at it till now.

It looks like fat or white wax floating on the surface. Do you think it could be temperature, cause we just hit over here with snow on the east. Or do u think its contaminated?.

Thanks
Dan

It's probably just yeast rafts, kicked up from the bottom of the carboy and sitting on the surface. Take a picture and let us see, but that's what it usually is 99% of the time.

Sorry if the picture is not that good. I dont even know if there posted.

I'm using the app on my droid.

Thanks for the quick response

Dan

ForumRunner_20111031_151306.jpg

ForumRunner_20111031_151604.jpg

It doesn't look real good captain... why such a long time in the carboy? That's a lot of headspace too. If you don't have a 5 gallon fermenter or some other vessel for a secondary I'd say you're better off just bottling/kegging rather than trying to bulk age for so long.

I just took a taste it taste fine and it smells fine.

I shook it up a little bit. Thats why theres a lot of white specks. Before they were globs.

But yea it still tastes incredibly hoppy.

Dan

We had almost the exact same thing on our red ale, turned out to be the best beer we'd brewed yet but still made us a little nervous.

Sorry if the picture is not that good. I dont even know if there posted.

I'm using the app on my droid.

Thanks for the quick response

Dan

Well Dan, they are either yeast rafts like Revvy says or you have some photos of one of the moons surrounding Jupiter!:cross:

As long as it tastes good!

Haha, or the moon surrounding Pluto (oops, not a planet anymore) ;) ... But ya, I've had some weird stuff come out as well, but it tasted alright. :) You might want to look into getting new refrigerator water filters. It might help clean up some of your water issues. Good luck on getting that taken care of! :)

I've found that a lot of times this stuff looks more serious in pics than it actually is. A month ago my wife sent me a pic of one of my carboys of cider that had "mold" growing on it. When I got home I found that there were a couple green apple fragments that were floating on top. Looked scary in the picture though. Flashes can make things look strange too

Need help.

image-2396483537.jpg

The pict is from a few minutes ago. I am brewing a raspberry hefeweizen and when I went to add the berries, this is what I found. I know a hefe doesn't settle like an amber or an ale, but I didn't expect this. The hops actually bubbled up and pressed out of the seal on the side. I know I had it sealed. Is this normal or have I screwed up?

It doesn't look real good captain... why such a long time in the carboy? That's a lot of headspace too. If you don't have a 5 gallon fermenter or some other vessel for a secondary I'd say you're better off just bottling/kegging rather than trying to bulk age for so long.

I didn't have a secondary vessel to put it in. Also I heard that its not always necessary to put it into secondary.

But I dont know, I guess this is just an experiment.

Back