wife broke her jaw

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friarjohn

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long they leave your jaw wired for? they are wiring her jaw tommorrow.

Mine was wired closed for 5 weeks. It's not a good experience.

On the flip side, she'll probably lose 20-30 lb.

Mmmm------ pureed baby food. yuck!

Bull

they are controling her pain well. the bad part is shes 120 pounds soaking wet, so i really have to work to keep her weight up. me on the other hand could us the wieghtloss, I wonder if they offer a 2 for 1 special? i love her 3rd shift nurse. she was trying to talk the wife into getting augmented while she was under!!!

She broke her jaw?? Damn! That'll teach her to not talk back. :D

Did they try and do titanium plates first? I had a friend that broke his jaw a month or so ago and they put in plates. They said if they didn't take then they would have to wire his mouth shut.

she was standing up, took two steps and passed out. they dont know why yet. the black top parking lot doesnt give much. the surgen was in just a little bit ago. she will be wired for a atleast 4 weeks, then 2 weeks with rubber bands. may need a plate in her chin. i was amazed at the amount of strangers that responded and gave assistance.

10 years ago I broke my jaw when a buddy and I were tubing on the same tube. We flipped and he kneed my face in mid-air breaking it in 3 spots and knocking out most of my teeth.

Its a ****ty experience to say the least. My jaw was wired shut for just over 2 months. I'll tell ya right now, dont pull the "Why arent you eating? Forget your silverware?" jokes for awhile. Its not funny to the person with the wired jaw.

She'll lose weight, naturally. Dont try to puree ramen noodles, it doesnt work out too well. I was a big fan of chicken noodle broth with a ton of butter tossed in. However I dont eat chicken noodles with a lot of broth in em to this day.

Oh, and the wires are gonna mess up the inside of her lips after awhile. So watch for that. What the doctors might not have told ya is that after the wires come off, they're probably gonna fill her mouth with rubber bands meant to help build up muslce since her jaw hasnt been used in awhile.

Good luck, have fun with this.

Get a few of those jugs of protein powder. Remember, the human body can only handle 30 grams of protein at a time, so give her that much at breakfast and dinner. They have all sorts of flavors and if you can add fruit to it she will enjoy it. I always add raspberries or strawberries to the vanilla and blend the crap out of it. It tastes like desert, but it isn't as bad for you.

Get a few of those jugs of protein powder. Remember, the human body can only handle 30 grams of protein at a time, so give her that much at breakfast and dinner. They have all sorts of flavors and if you can add fruit to it she will enjoy it. I always add raspberries or strawberries to the vanilla and blend the crap out of it. It tastes like desert, but it isn't as bad for you.

I was thinking more along the lines of bacon fat...;)

Agreed... I buy the vanilla because I think that allows for the greatest varieties of flavors. I make a smoothie like this almost daily using the Magic Bullet. Right now my favorite is a scoop of the protein, a handful of frozen strawberries, half of a banana (i keep them frozen as well), and then top it off with V-8 Fusion Light Blueberry-Pomegranate juice. If you need a little extra sweetness add around a TBSP of honey.

And I've got to be honest, I'm really appalled that no one has suggested beer as "food" to friarjohns wife. I mean, this is a beer forum for Christ's sake! : ) Might I suggest something like that Dark Night of the Soul Russian imperial stout. I'm looking to brew that one soon and I put it into Beersmith--it has like 600 calories per pint. So, if she drinks 4 of those a day, her motor skills will suffer, but her caloric intake should be where it needs to be. Come to think of it, that could be a bit excessive. Maybe 2 stouts per day and the rest as other foods.

All kidding aside, I hope she gets better quickly. I can't really imagine what this must be like--I'm sure it will suck for her. Please wish her the best of luck for us and hopefully her spirits will stay up.

And I've got to be honest, I'm really appalled that no one has suggested beer as "food" to friarjohns wife. I mean, this is a beer forum for Christ's sake! : ) Might I suggest something like that Dark Night of the Soul Russian imperial stout. I'm looking to brew that one soon and I put it into Beersmith--it has like 600 calories per pint. So, if she drinks 4 of those a day, her motor skills will suffer, but her caloric intake should be where it needs to be. Come to think of it, that could be a bit excessive. Maybe 2 stouts per day and the rest as other foods.

All kidding aside, I hope she gets better quickly. I can't really imagine what this must be like--I'm sure it will suck for her. Please wish her the best of luck for us and hopefully her spirits will stay up.

I was thining she would be on pain killers, I don't want to kill somones wife.

Most men would brag about that :D

seriously, hope she gets better soon, i had my wisdom teeth out (which i know doesnt compare) and was living off of Ensure shakes, soup, and Wendy's Chili

she made it through surgery great. shes resting good. i was thinking chocolate stout shakes after she gets off pain meds.

Glad she got through the surgery okay...Sounds like you both have some challenges to face over the next few weeks. My very best to you both. Tell her lots of your homebrew pals are pulling for her!

In fact, if I were you, I'd personally milk this for all it's worth. Put out a call for the "needy" who needs high-calorie beer to maintain her health. Ask for donations of such beer and post a shipping address... :D

Then again, don't take my advice. I'm evil and likely will be going to hell. :p

I might recommend Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Mocha Cappuccino protein powder. Blended with whole milk, pretty cold and allowed to thicken over a few hours, this stuff tastes like a milkshake, no joke. It has little other than protein in it so it definitely isn't something that has a ton of carbs in it and it doesn't have much, if any, fat. You can buy it online for a lot cheaper price than GNC (Bodybuilding.com has good prices) and go even cheaper and get a 5lb tub. A single serving has about 24g of protein without the milk so probably around 32 with it. Just about right for about 3-4 hours.

And, if that's your fancy, there's another one called Syntha 6 that tastes very good. There is 2g less protein per serving but, in general, it does have a better flavor than anything else, especially if you're going with vanilla and blending it.

Another thing you can try is what I do when I get "bored" with the standard flavors. I like to get instant pudding mix, add about a teaspoon to it, and then blend all that up together. If you use vanilla powder as a base, you can put most any flavor in with it and wind up with a very interesting shake. I like to use cheesecake pudding quite a bit, as well as pistachio (just be cautious of the nut pieces in that one). One word of caution about pudding, make sure you use plenty of liquid or you can get it too thick. A teaspoon per quart or so is a good quantity if you're planning on putting it into the fridge for a while... If you're drinking it right away, you can add a little more, just keep an eye on it.

One last thing, if you do make them ahead, put them in something you can shake up. They tend to separate over a few hours. I have a half gallon tupperware container with a twist on lid that has a pop top also on it so I can "reshake" them if I make more than a single day's worth at once.

Hope that helps and let your wife know we're pulling for her. Good luck.

I'd pass on the protein powders and just get some Carnation instant breakfast. 12g of protein, 37g of carbs and lots of vitimins and minerals in each serving. Most of those canned protein things are bunk anyway.

I'd pass on the protein powders and just get some Carnation instant breakfast. 12g of protein, 37g of carbs and lots of vitimins and minerals in each serving. Most of those canned protein things are bunk anyway.

Define "bunk." There is absolutely nothing wrong with them, and, I think, they taste better than Carnation, not to mention there are more varieties of flavors than Carnation. And most have very little sugar... If you buy a "quality" powder, there is no "bunk" to it. Not to mention they will end up costing a ton less than buying Carnation... These powders have come a long way in the past few years.

You are correct, however, in that they aren't complete. There aren't as many vitamins and minerals so you will want to make sure you do get that from another source. Carnation has a good amount.

Also, after I had posted, I was reminded of Boost and Ensure. They compare to Carnation so far as nutritional value goes.

I did a quicky search for the info and came up with this:

http://www.thedietchannel.com/scoopon.htm

Also, here's the a page with the info for Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard:

http://www.wheygoldstandard.com/100wheyfamily/

Hope that helps! :D

Back