7.2 pH Suitable for Belgian Dark Strong Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chimchim5040

Reaction score
I am planning to brew a recipe I created this weekend. It's called Punk Munk Ale

I have been using Deer Park bottled water for my last several batches, but I really want to use my tap water this time to really give a "localized" flavor to the beer. (I live in Montgomery County, MD)

Our water is pretty alkaline @ 7.2 pH, so I'm wondering if brewing a dark beer would be ideal since the darker grains should add some acidity, thereby lowering the pH. I've read most of the HowToBrew website, so I'm going forward with that limited knowledge here.... :rolleyes:

Maybe someone who really knows their stuff can look at my recipie and give me an opinion about what I should and should not do??

I really enjoy these boards.... I'm learning a ton of useful info!!:D

You should be fine, you're right about the dark grains acidifying th mash. If you're still worried though, see if your LHBS has that pH 5.2 stabilizer. That stuff is supposed to work really well.

Your raw water pH isn't that important... your mash pH is. Various other factors in your water will affect your final pH with a given grain bill. I recommend a micromash on the stove if you really want to determine how well your water balances with a certain grain bill but... the pH stabilizer mentioned above pretty much makes it all a no-brainer. 7.2 by the way is pretty neutral and is most likely more suitable for a lighter beer.

Thanks for advice everyone! I'm psyched to brew this weekend as this is my first batch using my new 40 qt. pot (w/false bottom) and propane burner.:rockin:

Back