Green Apple Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffmanAK

Reaction score
So, I really have put some effort in searching the forums for this one. I know I've read a few posts on it but can't seem to find them now. I may just be a moron when it comes to forum searches.

Anyway, seems my beer is developing a bit of a green apple taste. I couldn't remember what tends to contribute to this. I do know that I underfilled my bottles (by quite a bit, in some cases, the entire neck of the bottle was air). And I seem to recall that oxygenating the ber can give it this sorta flavor.

It seems that the flavor is getting more pronounced as it ages, however. Or it could just be now that I've noticed it, I'm noticing it more.

Thoughts?

The green apple flavor means the fermentation process halted before completion. This could be caused by pitching into wort with too little oxygen, not pitching the correct amount of yeast, or just racking your beer too early. If you haven’t already racked and kegged/bottled the beer, the solution is to warm up the fermenter a bit so the yeast can “finish the job”.

Hmm interesting.

That batck was in primary for 4 weeks (a little more than that actually). I even swished the fermentor around a bit in an attempt to rouse the yeast. The FG was 1.014 ish, I didn't end up taking an OG. This was my first batch, and didn't think of it. Also, the fermentor stayed at arounf 70F for the full duration. During the initial fermentation activity, it could have been a little hot (in the high 70s).

More than anything I'm trying to figure out what caused it so I don't repeat bad practices :)

I had 2 packets of "Cooper's" Ale Yeast from my LHBS. I don't recall any other special markings on it. I also made a yeast starter out of it. I put it in a measuring cup with some extract syrup and warm water for probably 30 minutes before I pitched it.

Edit: Oh, and the water had been boiled/cooled/covered.

Back