Apartment chilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexterthedog

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve been looking for a solution to my chilling issues for a while now. I live in an apartment with one of those stupid pullout faucets that I can’t get a hose adapter for. Because I am renting, there is no chance of a new faucet (unless it “breaks”) or changing the plumbing. This seems like a good way to shave an hour off of my chilling times (it is a little over an hour now with an ice bath). I was also thinking I might be able to use less then the 12lbs that is specified because my tap water is not 80 degrees and I am doing 2 -3 gallon extract boils, not a full 5 gallon boil. Any thoughts?

I know some on here use a bucket filled with Ice Water and a pond pump to cycle through immersion chillers. You could do something similar (even fill the sink with ice water and place the pump in there). I also dont have first hand experience with this, so i cannot vouch for it.

^this. A simple pond/aquarium water pump should be able to push enough water through a hose line run to an immersion chiller. Then, run the opposite end back into the ice bucket and let it recirculate.

^this. A simple pond/aquarium water pump should be able to push enough water through a hose line run to an immersion chiller. Then, run the opposite end back into the ice bucket and let it recirculate.

I would say don't run the other end back into the bucket, unless you want to use much more ice than necessary. The water coming out of the chiller will be probably around 150F, which is the idea (you want it to be hot!). Instead, run that down the drain and run your tap water into the bucket at roughly the same rate that the pump is pulling it out. It will use a little more water, but will cool it MUCH faster and with much less ice than recirculating your hot water back into your ice bath.

I know some on here use a bucket filled with Ice Water and a pond pump to cycle through immersion chillers. You could do something similar (even fill the sink with ice water and place the pump in there). I also dont have first hand experience with this, so i cannot vouch for it.

Depending on the temp of tap water, I use rain barrel water to get the initial temp down then ice the water at the end ie. I get mine down to the 80*'s then recirculate ice water to get to the 60*'s

Hey guys, I’ve been looking for a solution to my chilling issues for a while now. I live in an apartment with one of those stupid pullout faucets that I can’t get a hose adapter for. Because I am renting, there is no chance of a new faucet (unless it “breaks”) or changing the plumbing. This seems like a good way to shave an hour off of my chilling times (it is a little over an hour now with an ice bath). I was also thinking I might be able to use less then the 12lbs that is specified because my tap water is not 80 degrees and I am doing 2 -3 gallon extract boils, not a full 5 gallon boil. Any thoughts?

that kit is not worth $120, and having to buy ice each time? lame. you would be better off filling the sink with ice (if you are going to be buying ice) and chilling in the sink. if you have an outside tap you could run a hose out there on the down low for a quick chill with an immersion chiller. if you do buy a chiller i would recommend the compression fittings over those hose clamps.

Check the faucet in the bathroom(s)... Chances are you can install a hose adapter onto the one in the sink there and use it to feed a chiller.

Back