Coffee Porter/Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountaineerBrewer

Reaction score
I like coffee almost as much as I like beer. I've brewed a Founder's breakfast stout clone in the pass but I would really like something with more coffee flavor and not as much chocolate. Anyone have a coffee porter or stout recipe that they are really happy with?

I like coffee almost as much as I like beer. I've brewed a Founder's breakfast stout clone in the pass but I would really like something with more coffee flavor and not as much chocolate. Anyone have a coffee porter or stout recipe that they are really happy with?

Yup. Check my Recipe for Kona Chocolate Coffee Stout

Check my recipes for a Mokah clone. You can simply scale back the chocolate and it'll still be a great beer.

It's been 2 months since I brewed this chocolate espresso stout, and it's by far my best brew to date! You can tweak your coffee and chocolate additions to suit your tastes. I did 4oz. cocoa powder and about 1.5 cups ground espresso cold steeped for 2-3 days. The coffee flavor is very present, but not overpowering and it blends amazingly well, no acidic bite or bitterness imparted with the cold steep. Beautiful malt backbone, smooth mouthfeel, and subtle hop balance. Highly recommended!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/chocolate-espresso-stout-40754/

C-Rider said:
Nice but how come you fermented in the secondary for 3 months?
I don't "secondary" actually, whatever that even means. After primary, it went into the serving keg, where the cocoa was added, then i just set the keg aside for several weeks. That cocoa was added after primary just to fine tune the chocolate level. If I were doing this again, I would just do the whole addition before fermentation.

But a big flavorful stout really DOES need aging. Especially so with coffee, which mellows a lot in time.

I don't "secondary" actually, whatever that even means. After primary, it went into the serving keg, where the cocoa was added, then i just set the keg aside for several weeks. That cocoa was added after primary just to fine tune the chocolate level. If I were doing this again, I would just do the whole addition before fermentation.

But a big flavorful stout really DOES need aging. Especially so with coffee, which mellows a lot in time.

OK, makes sense :mug:

Back