SMaSH APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't supposed to brew this week, but i just can't help it :D

Cutting the hops down a bit on my trademark SMaSH...last batch was a bit too bitter and noticeably different than the original (whole hops, better efficiency.)

If it works out like i hope, it will then go in the recipe database:

SMaSH American Pale Ale 110808

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

10-A American Ale, American Pale Ale

Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 54
Min Clr: 5 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.00
Anticipated OG: 1.047 Plato: 11.69
Anticipated SRM: 4.8
Anticipated IBU: 32.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
100.0 10.00 lbs. Vienna Malt Germany 1.037 3

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 8.80 17.7 First WH
0.75 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 8.80 9.9 20 min.
0.75 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 8.80 4.9 5 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Unit(s)Whirfloc Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

Danstar Nottingham

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 10.00
Water Qts: 12.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.20 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 154 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 3.80 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

This will be a stove-top all-grain. Hops will go into the first runnings. Boil will be about 5 gallons, and topped off with bottled water. mash out is done with heat and stirring.

I'll be taking pictures, documenting and making another how-to thread for doing all-grain in the kitchen with minimal equipment.

Be back from work in a few hours to start!

I just haven't seen that much in a recipe. The little I have used seemed to add flavor and that was at only 20% or so.

I understand the SMaSH thing but I understood it to be a money saving measure.

I understand the SMaSH thing but I understood it to be a money saving measure.

Nope, more of a process to learn a malt flavor or what a specific hop taste like if you've never used it before. Also a great way to work on process.

i changed the recipe a bit. upon reading the gravity pre-boil (about 5.75 gallons) i got 14 brix. This was about 85% efficiency (1.055), so i changed the bittering hops to 0.75 ounces.

i boiled down to 5 gallons before adding hops and my final volume was 4 gallons. i took another reading and it was at 14 brix (1.063) adjusted for top off water at 5.5 gallons, this came to 70% efficiency, making it 1.046. i don't know where my reading was off (i think it was the 2nd reading) but no matter what it's still to style and it tastes great.

*sigh* i'll have to do this test a few more batches to figure out why my reading was off.

:drunk:

anyway, it was a great session otherwise. i got lots of pictures.

Isn't that a lot of Vienna malt?

i've used vienna as the base malt for many of my recipes. it makes a great steam beer, and this weekend i'll be making a vienna alt with a friend.

the first time i made this SMaSH recipe it was honestly one of the best beers i'd ever tasted.

Vienna as the base malt makes an absolutely AMAZING hoppy beer. So does Maris Otter. Both are about 3-4 SRM.

I keep babbling about wanting to do a vienna/summit SMaSH IPA, but I still can't find summit hops for under $4 an ounce. I need 7 ounces. :drunk:

yes, it works ok on mine. i can get a light rolling boil for anything 6 gallons or less.
So, I read this and feel jealous. Gets me thinking, what can I do to get more heat from the stovetop. I pop the top off and find the orifice. In a stroke of genius (maybe not), bigger is better goes through my head. I keep stepping it up slowly until the only drill size jumps from .047 to .052. Why not? Well now I have a huge flame with too much gas and not enough air.

Anyone got one of those drills that makes the hole smaller :eek:

7 ounces??? jesus, save your money and make this beer.

it's WAY better anyway :p

LOL. Well I want to do it as a 20 minute IPA. There is just something you can't beat about an IPA where all the hops are dumped in for the last few minutes of the boil... It's like rolling around in a field of hops. :rockin:

LOL. Well I want to do it as a 20 minute IPA. There is just something you can't beat about an IPA where all the hops are dumped in for the last few minutes of the boil... It's like rolling around in a field of hops. :rockin:

So, something like
1oz 0:20
2oz 0:10
2oz 0:00 Flameout
2oz Dry Hop
then?

I hear ya, I can't wait to find some cheap Summit someday, cuz that hop is teh bees knees! I'd do about the same 7oz hopping schedule for Amarillo, too, for the record. 7oz Late Hop Amarillo IPA would be bad-ass!

:off:
yes, it works ok on mine. i can get a light rolling boil for anything 6 gallons or less.
So, I read this and feel jealous. Gets me thinking, what can I do to get more heat from the stovetop. I pop the top off and find the orifice. In a stroke of genius (maybe not), bigger is better goes through my head. I keep stepping it up slowly until the only drill size jumps from .047 to .052. Why not? Well now I have a huge flame with too much gas and not enough air. :eek:
I had to put everything away because my wife was coming home for lunch and I didn’t want to get caught messing with her stove. Curiosity got the best of me and I took it apart again. One of the times that I removed the needle valve it dropped inside. The service guy was monkeying with these when the stove was installed and apparently he did the same thing. The one I picked out from under the burner wasn’t the one I had drilled. It had a .077 hole instead of the .052 that I drilled. Guess I’m not as bad a F-up as I thought.
Time for a boil test! :D

how'd that work out, anyway?
Our tap water is well below 60 degrees. The 6 gallon test went from there to boiling in 52 minutes. From mash temperature (~150) to boiling took less than 20 minutes. It was a good rolling boil, so I think more volume is possible. Before this, 4 gallons was my maximum boil size and that was a weak boil, so this is a big improvement.

Just yesterday I was playing with it again. It’s getting plenty of gas, but more air would help. The only way I can enlarge the opening where air is drawn though is using a Dremel. The hole can still go a little bigger, but the flame is burning cleaner now, almost all blue with a little yellow in one spot.

Now I have to get my wife use to it. None of her pots or pans are nearly as big as my brew stuff. Not realizing what I did, she turned it on full and walked away. Flames were lapping around the sides and she almost melted the handle off!

FWH = First Wort Hop...put in the wort before you begin your boil, basically as you are doing your first runnings.

i usually just do a 60 minute boil, so you can just stick to that.

.75 oz for each addition would work just fine.

I've wanted to do an all-Vienna Pale Ale for a while, ever since reading this thread, and I'm creating the recipe right now. Going to make it an AIPA.

Deathbrewer inspired me to do all-grain stovetop, so why not a recipe too? :mug:

I know this is the mother of all thread resurrections. :p

I know this is the mother of all thread resurrections. :p

awesome_med.png

LOL. Not really the "mother of". After all, we've seen threads that haven't been touched since '05, randomly pop up because someone didn't notice the date on them. :)

Yeah, I guess it isn't the same as resurrecting some political thread arguing about some stale topic like Bill Clinton. Beer that was good in 2005 is still good in 2009. :mug:

LOL. Not really the "mother of". After all, we've seen threads that haven't been touched since '05, randomly pop up because someone didn't notice the date on them. :)

This beer will remain awesome until the end of time!

It's like the one-eyed, red-headed step child of resurrection threads :D

I'm glad this got ressurected, now I'm inspired to put this on my todo list when I get my all grain equipment together!

I am resurrecting it again as I am about to brew it. This recipe doesn't want to die it seems...

It will be my first all grain brew and I will try the stovetop method, so I figure that an simple grain bill and hop schedule would give me a chance.

You should have seen the face of the guy at my LHBS when I put 10 pounds of Vienna on the counter... "What kind of recipe will you brew will all this!?!?"

:rockin:

I've done a couple of Vienna SmaShes. Next one is not going to be so hoppy, may try Hallataur instead of Northern.

OK - so I am done. Used the stovetop method. This was my first AG - and going to be my second as well - wanna se if I can duplicate it in two weeks time. Got an OG of 1.060.

Only added 1 qt of water to fulfill fermenter goal of 5.25 gals.

Used 3 gals to mash, 3.25 to strike.

In swamp cooler now, dosed with some 1275 Thames Valley Ale yeast.

Predictions on end product? :)

Latest posts

Back