Recirculating..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How do you guys add the runnings back to the top of the mash without disturbing the bed?

I've read that some brewers use tin foil, some put holes in the foil, some don't.

I am thinking of a way to do it with a funnel. I use a whirly-gig sparger, and I was thinking of adding a T fitting (instead of the 90° fitting that comes with the sparger) to the hose connection that goes from the HLT to the sparge arm. That way I can hook up another hose, hooked to a funnel, and drain the runnings through the sparge arm. It would have to be running at the same time as the sparge water so the sugars don't clog the sprinkler. The only problem with this idea is once I'm done vorlaufing I need to come up with a way to plug the other side of the T-fitting so just water from the HLT goes to the sprinkler. Not sure Lowes has a cap that would fit over those barbs.

Is this making any sense?

Dude said:
The only problem with this idea is once I'm done vorlaufing I need to come up with a way to plug the other side of the T-fitting so just water from the HLT goes to the sprinkler. Not sure Lowes has a cap that would fit over those barbs.

How about good old gravity? If you just clamp the vorlaufing hose to something above the level of the tee connection, gravity will assure that all of the sparge water from the HLT goes into the sparge arm, right?

I just floated a plastic lid (~ 8 in. dia) on the top of the water...that's what Palmer suggests.

What about a funnel with a length of tubing on the end that was long enough so you could hook the funnel to the side of the container and the tube would loop around and lay on the grainbed? That way you could pour your wort through the funnel and not disturb the grainbed, minimize areation of the wort, get a little whirlpool and do it all fairly cheaply.

Baron von BeeGee said:
For a cap all you need to do is double over some hose and stick it on. You could clamp it, duct tape it, whatever.

or use a small rubber stopper?

talking out of my butt since I don't exactly know what the equipment looks like here. :)

I say keep it as simple as possible. You really don't want a sparging set up, rather you want to sort of just slip the liquid back in as gently as possible. I like to describe it as "slip it out and slip it in." Go with the funnel and tube.

i use a two quart measuring cup to collect the first runnings, and pour it back in real slowly... usually into a laddle i hold above the mash tun.

been thinking about pouring it directly into the hlt. any problems anyone forsee with this?

t1master said:
been thinking about pouring it directly into the hlt. any problems anyone forsee with this?
I kind of thought about that, too, when I read Dude's post. I suppose the problem is that you may not use all of the hot liquor so some portion of your recirculated runnings would never make it to the kettle. Perhaps minimal...but I hate to waste beer.

I just run it into a pitcher and then slowly pour it back in the mashtun, just make sure you don't pour it to fast and it won't disturb the bed deep enough to bother anything.

Baron von BeeGee said:
I kind of thought about that, too, when I read Dude's post. I suppose the problem is that you may not use all of the hot liquor so some portion of your recirculated runnings would never make it to the kettle. Perhaps minimal...but I hate to waste beer.

And that is where your most concentrated sugars are too. Don't wanna lose those first runnings.

flhrpi said:
I just run it into a pitcher and then slowly pour it back in the mashtun, just make sure you don't pour it to fast and it won't disturb the bed deep enough to bother anything.

That is what I've been doing and which I believe is responsible for contributing to an occasional stuck sparge.

I used foil for the first time this weekend. It worked pretty well.

Next time I'll poke holes in the foil. The wort wanted to flow out one direction more than the other.. while this wasn't a big deal.. it would be nice to have it sort of 'uniformly' redistribute itself.

I do the pitcher and slow pour back in as well. I always internally questioned this approach as I was pouring but figured the depth of my grain bed (12+ inches) that I really wasn't disturbing much. Just pour slower if I feel I'm jostling a bit too much. Interesting topic of chat anyways.

t1master said:
i use a two quart measuring cup to collect the first runnings, and pour it back in real slowly... usually into a laddle i hold above the mash tun.

That's exactly what I do. I don't detect any problems with HSA in my brews by doing it.

I think y'all are over thinking this. Just collect it in a 1 qt measuring cup or pitcher and gently pour it back in. If you're real concerned about disturbing the grainbed then put a plate in there and pour it onto the plate. For what it's worth, I have gently stirred the first couple inches of the grainbed in an effort to get a higher efficiency (wasn't worth the effort) but I didn't have any problems with a stuck sparge or cloudy runnings.

I agree with Lost I collect it in a small pitcher about a qt or so and just pour it back slowly directly on top of the grain bed. and I've stired it too I've never had a problem and I have never had a stuck sparge ( even with Wheat).
Are you sure you are not overly worrying about this ?? It ain't rocket science.

snaproll said:
Are you sure you are not overly worrying about this ?? It ain't rocket science.

Well I'd say anything to improve my process is worth thinking about. I've had a few stuck mashes using your method and I was wondering about other people's processes.

What is the reason for recirculating cloudy 1st runnings? What problems can occur if cloudy runnings are not recirculated? Non of the brewing books I have mention why. Thanks

Johann

I recirculate by drawing off a quart and pouring it back over the top using a slotted spoon to deflect the stream. It prevents the recirc wort from drilling a hole in my grain bed. I don't know if I'm gaining anything by doing it that way, but the brewmaster at the local brewpub does it that way when he's homebrewing, and it seems to work for him.

I use a sparge arm to sparge. My wife likes the whirlygig. The dogs like it too.

Dude said:
How do you guys add the runnings back to the top of the mash without disturbing the bed?

I've read that some brewers use tin foil, some put holes in the foil, some don't.

I am thinking of a way to do it with a funnel. I use a whirly-gig sparger, and I was thinking of adding a T fitting (instead of the 90° fitting that comes with the sparger) to the hose connection that goes from the HLT to the sparge arm. That way I can hook up another hose, hooked to a funnel, and drain the runnings through the sparge arm. It would have to be running at the same time as the sparge water so the sugars don't clog the sprinkler. The only problem with this idea is once I'm done vorlaufing I need to come up with a way to plug the other side of the T-fitting so just water from the HLT goes to the sprinkler. Not sure Lowes has a cap that would fit over those barbs.

Is this making any sense?
I would be afraid of clogging the whirly-gig sparger. There are a lot of particles in the first runnings and I know my Phil Sparger has some pretty small holes in it.

I use an 8 cup Pyrex measuring cup. I make sure there is enough liquid in the mash that I can lower it into the wort then gently tip until the liquid equalizes. There's a little bit of disturbance but it is minimal.

Johannes said:
What is the reason for recirculating cloudy 1st runnings? What problems can occur if cloudy runnings are not recirculated? Non of the brewing books I have mention why. Thanks

Johann

the first runnings can include a fair amount of grain and husk materials you don't necisarily want to boil cause you can extract tannins...

I just collect a couple quarts in a measuring cup and gently pour it in the top of the cooler. My grain bed is usually around 8 inches deep and I have never had a problem with a stuck sparge. Ask me again when I decide to do an all grain hefeweizen and use 5 lbs of wheat malt. :)

andre the giant said:
I use a sparge arm to sparge. My wife likes the whirlygig. The dogs like it too.

Yea, my friends like the sparge arm as well. In fact, their favorite word in the brewing process is "sparge". Its become a drinking term to them. "Hey, DesertBrew said sparge again, Drink!" :mug:

Heh Brewsmith , don't worry about the wheat . I have used up to 5.5 lbs but I also used 1lbs of rice hulls ( when I buy the wheat malt at the local HBS they give me 1 lbs of rice hulls ) they are cheap anyway even if you have to buy them .
Just mix them well through out the grain bed and mash as usual. no problemo.
I guess I'll eventually find a way to have a stuck sparge but so far I don't know how to do it. Perhaps I have just been lucky.
Next time I try a wheat I'll go for 6o%. Love that wheat.

Yeah, I dig the hefeweizen too. My last hefe was a partial mash, and was before I built my cooler. I'm going to do one soon and will be shooting for the 60% wheat content. And thanks for reminding me about the rice hulls.

desertBrew said:
Yea, my friends like the sparge arm as well. In fact, their favorite word in the brewing process is "sparge". Its become a drinking term to them. "Hey, DesertBrew said sparge again, Drink!" :mug:
your friends call you DesertBrew?
Edit: my friends call me Lou, so i guess it's not that weird

Lou said:
your friends call you DesertBrew?
Edit: my friends call me Lou, so i guess it's not that weird

Yea, I know your not supposed to use your real name on the internet because of psycho stalkers but what the heck, I got big dogs & guns ;).

What about running the first runnings into a flower watering pot, one with the holes in it that when you pour it sprinkles out.....I have thought about getting one of these for the runnings......

GABrewboy said:
What about running the first runnings into a flower watering pot, one with the holes in it that when you pour it sprinkles out.....I have thought about getting one of these for the runnings......

Brilliant!

inside1-guinness.jpg

Heh, you know, what ever floats your boat. but I still think you guys are over thinking this thing. All you have to do is gently pour the stuff back on the grain bed, no dumping now. Remember you should have "some" liquid above the grain bed anyway.

Back