The single best beer bar in your state?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpertskir

Reaction score
You have to pick just one...

Thought this may be a cool reference thread for travel, beyond interesting discussion.

West Virginia
Apothecary Ale House, Morgantown

Not great in the grand scheme, but best for the state(that has the worst distribution in the country).

Ashley's in Ann Arbor is the best one I know of in Michigan.

http://www.ashleys.com/

Draft magazine apparently listed it as one of the best 100 beer bars in the country at some point. Looks like they currently have 46 beers on draft and their bottle list is ridiculous.

This one is going to catch a lot of heat, but Small Bar is the best beer bar in San Diego (I'm not sure it's fair to have to only pick one in California).

I couldn't possibly speak to the best beer bar in NY state. There has to be a hundred high quality beer bars, most of which I will never go to. In my corner of the state, Rochester, Id say the two best are...

MacGregors
Tap and Mallet

but there are several other bars that are very close to them.

EDIT: Interesting link on number of bars in each state...
Bars per State

CT: Willimantic Brewing Company. Fairly large brew pub in northeastern CT. Always makes great beer, has 6-8 on tap favoring saisons and IPA's. Carries a great selection of other CT micro's and while the bottle list isn't huge, it spans quite the range. 40 other taps ranging from run of the mill craft to harder to find selections. Ambience is unbeatable, they are in an old post office building, massive place with 30' ceilings, wood and trim work that probably couldn't be done today because of the cost. And of course, great super friendly service and knowledgeable staff. Did I mention great food too.

It’s a tough call in Texas, but I’d say Flying Saucer in Fort Worth. It’s not quite the same as the original location, but it’s still pretty great. It moved from 4th St to 3rd St this spring.

The first Flying Saucer (1985) is still the best. Knowledgeable staff, huge selection.

I have to 2nd ashleys in Ann Arbor mi they also have a location in westland mi but. now I live in Texas and have yet to find a good one in my town

This one is going to catch a lot of heat, but Small Bar is the best beer bar in San Diego (I'm not sure it's fair to have to only pick one in California).

While I do like Small bar, imo Churchills is better at getting top quality beers(its hard just picking one) and its closer to my house..

Didnt read correctly the first time. My favorite beer bar in houston tx is the petrol station. Plenty of craft beer and no BMC on tap. Also ypu have to try the rancor burger its awesome

For Colorado: Falling Rock Tap House in Denver. ~70 beers on tap at any given time (none are BMC), plus many more in bottles including some that weren't on the menu. Used to be my local when I lived downtown. I miss going to that place on a nightly basis...

I know I'm breaking rules by picking two...but they're in different states...I consider both states "mine"

Doherty's East Ave Irish Pub, Pawtucket, RI - www.dohertys.com. If you ever find yourself in/around Providence, this is the place to go for quality and selection (something like 80 beers on tap...plus a full bottle menu). Food is top notch too.

For Mass, I'm going to go with Armsby Abbey in Worcester - www.armsbyabbey.com - especially for your Belgian fix. Food is out of this world too...especially for local, "artisanal" fare.

Pazzo's in Lexington. Instrumental in my beer education and quite possibly the only reason I got through college.

Iowa: El Bait Shop. Over 100 different beers with a lot that change out every month. And they have amazing nachos.

Yep - Iowa is easy - El Bait Shop. That is it. End of discussion. GREAT beer bar.

I would also throw out a suggestion for Wisconsin - Bodega in LaCrossee. 500 beers on the 15+ page beer menu..... that is solid.

For Missouri, Kansas City has a few and I would say those are The Foundrey, Antons Taphouse or Bier Station. St Louis has a nice one also with International Taphouse.

I visit Baltimore every so often and would have to think Max's would be up there for Maryland

Out of the ones I've been to in Philly (too many good ones, not enough time), Monk's is my favorite! Crazy good stuff there, not to mention an almost endless supply of Pliny during the summer.

I know there are good beer places in Wisconsin outside of Milwaukee, but I sure like the Palm Tavern in Milwaukee's Bay View neighborhood. 60 taps of all American craft beer.

JonM -I think you might be thinking of Palm Tavern's sister bar, Sugar Maple - they have 60 taps. Palm Tavern has 25 (I think). Been to both, and while I like Sugar Maple's selection, I love the Palm - best beer bar in Milwaukee.

In my other home state - Hopcat - Grand Rapids, MI. Though I really like going to the Founders taproom, too.

Creek House in Western PA, Monks in Eastern PA
Gingerman in Dallas, the one in NYC isn't that great, there are more kickass beer bars in NYC. Blind Tiger, BXL, DBA, and so many other great places.
El bait shop is amazing.
Hopcat or Graydon's Crossing in Grand Rapids, MI. Hopcat has more beers, but Gradon's has better beers and better food.
Hop Leaf or the Map Room in Chicago. Hop Leaf is closer to Lady Gregory's- AMAZING scotch bar.

I travel for work, so I get to drink in a lot of great bars!

TheZymurgist said:
Brickstore Pub in Decatur, GA. Great beer, incredible food.

I haven't been to brickstore yet (shame) so I would say The Porter in Little 5 Points, Atlanta. Fantastic selection of Belgians, in particular, and also very good food. Plus ambiance reeks of coolness.

Texas is a big state but some of my favorite places are Flying Saucer in Addison and Holy Grail in Plano. I can spend hours at the Holy Grail talking with the bartenders about beer and homebrew. They are very knowledgeable.

CT: Willimantic Brewing Company. Fairly large brew pub in northeastern CT. Always makes great beer, has 6-8 on tap favoring saisons and IPA's. Carries a great selection of other CT micro's and while the bottle list isn't huge, it spans quite the range. 40 other taps ranging from run of the mill craft to harder to find selections. Ambience is unbeatable, they are in an old post office building, massive place with 30' ceilings, wood and trim work that probably couldn't be done today because of the cost. And of course, great super friendly service and knowledgeable staff. Did I mention great food too.

Two Roads in Stratford is ridiculously awesome. The floors there and the bar tops are unbelievable.

But as for the best beer, that goes to New England Brewing Company not too far from my house. Very, very, very small bar - if you can even call it that.

Can anyone chime in on San Fran? Will be there for a week soon. Heard about Toronado on Haight. I too travel a lot for work, loving this thread!

Obscure one but if you ever find yourself in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia... Taps. The ONLY craft beer place I could find and it was good.

Colorado- kind of a big fan of Colorado Plus. Beer bar up in Wheat Ridge that has over 50 taps of Colorado beer only. They also brew a few of their own things including Monkey Brain, a banana cream stout I want to do a clone of.

Obscure one but if you ever find yourself in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia... Taps. The ONLY craft beer place I could find and it was good.

Since I wouldn't dream of picking a favorite in Boston, let alone MA, I'll follow this post and recommend Cafe Odeon in Daan, Taipei.

Good selection of Belgian and UK beers, and the owner home brews and has shared a bottle or two with me and colleagues when we've visited.

I couldn't possibly speak to the best beer bar in NY state. There has to be a hundred high quality beer bars, most of which I will never go to. In my corner of the state, Rochester, Id say the two best are...

MacGregors
Tap and Mallet

but there are several other bars that are very close to them.

EDIT: Interesting link on number of bars in each state...
Bars per State

im going to vehemently disagree with you on macgreggors. they need to clean their tap lines more, their beer is better than most bars but nothing special, the service sucks, and they treat their employees like garbage (no, i havent worked there but it def counts for something)

I am from rochester and moved to buff. I would agree with the Tap and Mallet but The Blue Monk in buffalo has an epic selection.

I'll second avenues in NOLA for Louisiana...but there is a real lack of good beer bars in the state...

Currently in deep south Texas and since the state is so damn big, it's got to have multiple regional representation....so for the lower Rio Grande Valley, go with Roosevelt's at 7 in McAllen. 40+ taps that change a lot and very knowledgeable and beer enthusiast bartenders. Great food too! Doing a monthly Beer Dinner pairing now with brewery reps coming in...Stone was in last month and No Label was last night. Truly a beer bar....no liquor.

For Colorado: Falling Rock Tap House in Denver. ~70 beers on tap at any given time (none are BMC), plus many more in bottles including some that weren't on the menu. Used to be my local when I lived downtown. I miss going to that place on a nightly basis...

100% on this plus eculid hall and fresh craft both are great with wonderful food.

Back