banana wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goteamwhatever

Reaction score
I am in the process of making a couple of gallons of banana wine. I have read a couple of places that the banana taste will disappear.I also want it to be a sweet wine. so I was thinking I could back sweeten with some of the must. But the wine will be pretty clear close to bottling time. I don't want to cloud my wine. What should I do to keep a banana taste?

In my experience, my banana wine is very much "banana-y". If you want to sweeten it, it's simple to stabilize it before bottling and sweetening to taste.

I appreciate the help and the quick response. I'm new to this but am really getting into it. My first batch was muscadine but come out way strong and extremely dark. I was thinking about adding cinnamon in my banana should I do that towards the end closer to the bottling process?

I was also wondering what would happen if for the primary fermentation the first initial week I put an airlock on it instead of just covering it.

I was also wondering what would happen if for the primary fermentation the first initial week I put an airlock on it instead of just covering it.

Many people airlock from the get go, but in my experience the ferment establishes much better if you do not airlock until 1/2-2/3 sugar break, or Day 10--whichever is earliest.

I have to move my wine from. Inside the house to garage gonna be walking through sun light is this gonna affect the wine process.

It's been right at three weeks and got quite a few lees at bottom so am going to rack soon. Was thinking about adding cinnamon to it. Any suggestions on when I should add them in.

So i racked outta my secondary today. Am doing two gallons. Used an auto-siphon for the first time, great gadget but was pretty slow lol. maybe i'm impatient. Separated it into two different one gallon water jugs like milk jugs. Added a cinnamon stick to one of them. put the cinnamon in the oven on 300 for 20 minutes first. Now the hurry up and wait game...LOVE IT:mug:

So I was reading that I should put campden tablets into my wine again after taking out of my secondary. It says that my wine will sour. Should I our shouldn't I?

So I was reading that I should put campden tablets into my wine again after taking out of my secondary. It says that my wine will sour. Should I our shouldn't I?

You will need SO2 on board while the wine is clearing/bulk aging and in preparation for bottling.
Here is my scenario, in absence of a SO2 test kit: k-meta was added preferment, and when wine was dry and racked for that first time I dosed with k-meta, or used the '1 Campden tab per gallon' tabs, then I dosed again approximately once a quarter while wine was clearing/bulk aging and attempt to coordinate a final dose of k-meta with bottling. Hope that helps.

You will need SO2 on board while the wine is clearing/bulk aging and in preparation for bottling.
Here is my scenario, in absence of a SO2 test kit: k-meta was added preferment, and when wine was dry and racked for that first time I dosed with k-meta, or used the '1 Campden tab per gallon' tabs, then I dosed again approximately once a quarter while wine was clearing/bulk aging and attempt to coordinate a final dose of k-meta with bottling. Hope that helps.

I don't have an S02 meter, so I do something sort of similar, I guestimate the S02 by using the equivalent of 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon at every other racking and at bottling. This is a guess (but a pretty good guess usually) at keeping the wine at the recommended 50 ppm of sulfites.

Latest posts

Back