botteling mishap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justintoxicated

Reaction score
I was using my auto siphon to siphon some fermented juice into my bottling bucket, I left it for a second to run in and grab the priming sugar.

2 seconds later the unsanatize juice bottle fell into my bottling bucket as the weight of the auto-siphon overcame the weight of the remainder of the juice.

I pitched the sugar in and bottled anyways. but now I guess I'm more than likely going to get an infection? It tasts like there is a lot of alcohol in it but I didn't take gravity reading for this experiment. Should I just drink the stuff before it carbonates? It was only enough to fill 6 12oz bottles so not a huge loss in any case. Just wondering how terrible of an accident this is, and whether I should just drink the bitter concatenation or try to let it carb anyways.

Unless you are really unlucky, you should be fine. The alcohol in the brew will inhibit most things.

Let it ride as normal.

Most of the time, the alcohol and acidity of a fermented beverage will kill off any nasties that may fall in. You're probably okay, but you should be more careful next time.

Most of the time, the alcohol and acidity of a fermented beverage will kill off any nasties that may fall in. You're probably okay, but you should be more careful next time.

I'll right then i'll ride it out. Granberry Grape Juice ferments SUPER bitter. Then again what did I expect... :mug:

Why did you siphon? You could have poured it straight in using a funnel or something to avoid splashing.

Why did you siphon? You could have poured it straight in using a funnel or something to avoid splashing.

wouldn't the action of funneling or pouring alone be exposing it to air? It hoguht that was the whole idea of siphoning, to avoid pouring or funneling.

Just reread the op and missed it was fermented juice. But if there is no splashing it should still be fine. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

There are stories all over this forum of people dropping unsanitized bottles, bbq lighters, hair brushes, phones, all kinds of stuff into their brew. And a lot of them, in a panic, reach in elbow deep to retrieve the item. And most turned out just fine. Also, with a fruit juice, I'd imagine the alcohol to be pretty high, & what do Dr.s use to prevent infections? Alcohol ;) carb/condition away and enjoy your experiment.

Back