Witbier Austin Homebrew's Belgian White Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have a suggestion of how to turn this into an extract w/ specialty or possibly partial mash (if I can get away with just a grain bag - I have no $ for any extra equipment right now). The wheat is really throwing me for a loop. Thanks!

Thank you, that is so helpful! I am a moron, after all!

Why even post the recipe if the only option is to buy everything from the AHS website? Why is it different for Extract, but fine for AG?

Maybe I don't need the majority of the supplies in the kit. Maybe I want to pick up the rest at my LHBS. Maybe I just want to learn something about how to sub wheat.

But thanks!

Thank you, that is so helpful!

I do what I can :D

Wheat extract is readily available at most lhbs, it would get you pretty much there.

Partial mash is crazy easy to pull off. Its like a steeping grain recipe with a bit more grain and a little more fussing to maintain temps.

Google "deathbrewer easy stovetop," plug half the fermentables into brewing software and make up the rest with wheat extract.

Thank you, that is so helpful! I am a moron, after all!

Why even post the recipe if the only option is to buy everything from the AHS website? Why is it different for Extract, but fine for AG?

Maybe I don't need the majority of the supplies in the kit. Maybe I want to pick up the rest at my LHBS. Maybe I just want to learn something about how to sub wheat.

But thanks!

GreenGal -

It appears you're frustrated with "having" to buy a kit from a company to get their PM recipe. Ok. I hear that. If you search for Partial Mash Wit Recipe or similar, you can find one with out having to buy a kit.

On the other hand...Austin Homebrew consulted with Pierre Celis on this recipe. He's the man who resurrected this style of beer from obscurity! Paying for the collective experience of AHS and one of the experts in this particular style is reasonable. (As a plus this kit is inexpensive.) AHS has excellent recipes. I've brewed about 30 different PM kits from AHS. Their kits are worth the money, and they clearly show the ingredients included, instructions, and measures.

No, I don't work for Austin Homebrew - I'm just a satisfied customer.

+1 on Deathbrewer's PM instructions. His overview gave me the courage to move to PM after only two batches of beer under my belt. I've never looked back! Look those up.

Finally, here's a link to specific instructions on how to convert all grain recipes to PM. You can use this primer to convert this all grain wit recipe or any others to PM. I've used it and it works very well.

http://members.cox.net/steve.krieske/Extract Brewing Guide.pdf

You can also buy some software like BeerSmith or ProMash and convert the all grain recipe to PM. BrewTarget is free and opensource but I don't think it has that "convert" feature. However, I use BrewTarget and like it just fine.

However you choose to brew the wit, cheers!

Paying for the collective experience of AHS and one of the experts in this particular style is reasonable. (As a plus this kit is inexpensive.) AHS has excellent recipes. I've brewed about 30 different PM kits from AHS. Their kits are worth the money, and they clearly show the ingredients included, instructions, and measures.

Agreed. Why not kick back business if you're making the exact recipe a respected vendor works hard to provide?

Thank you for the advice. I have actually read deathbrewer's guide a half dozen times. I also found the PM conversion guide this morning and read through it - it is quite helpful. The reason that I had asked my question about substituting the wheat (which perhaps would have been treated more reasonably if I had not posted it here) is that I had just spent six hours reading through the forums trying to figure it out and failing. I like to have everything as planned out as thoroughly as possible in advance including recipe and equipment (which would be new for me in a PM, and I do not have the setup Deathbrewer has available to me at the moment). I will likely figure this all out on my own, but thought I would ask if there were suggestions from the experienced. And since those seem to be 'figure it out' anyway, I'll just go on my own.

I understand that the AHS kits are great, etc. I understand. What I don't understand is how an AG recipe can be posted in this forum and get treated positively, questions are asked and answered and all is fine. People are welcome to brew the AG recipe without kits and there is no problems. Then, when I ask about extract/partial mash I get the third degree for some reason. Is extract/partial mash so offensive?

I would never have presumed to ask about this recipe if there had not already been nine months of discussion (all apparently sanctioned by the creator) of the recipe prior to my question. I'm not really trying to be subversive here. I really like to see recipes. I cook a lot, maybe that is why. I just feel horrible that my question is being interpreted as "how can I scam AHS out of some money." Of course, now that my integrity is being questioned I feel much less likely to buy this kit on principal- something that I was actually considering before.

I apologize if I have done something wrong, but I just do not know what. Is it that I don't post a lot? Is it that I lurked for a long time before becoming a member? This is all rather demoralizing - maybe I have just not noticed other people being treated this way before because I was not paying attention.

Thank you for the advice. I have actually read deathbrewer's guide a half dozen times. I also found the PM conversion guide this morning and read through it - it is quite helpful. The reason that I had asked my question about substituting the wheat (which perhaps would have been treated more reasonably if I had not posted it here) is that I had just spent six hours reading through the forums trying to figure it out and failing. I like to have everything as planned out as thoroughly as possible in advance including recipe and equipment (which would be new for me in a PM, and I do not have the setup Deathbrewer has available to me at the moment). I will likely figure this all out on my own, but thought I would ask if there were suggestions from the experienced. And since those seem to be 'figure it out' anyway, I'll just go on my own.

I understand that the AHS kits are great, etc. I understand. What I don't understand is how an AG recipe can be posted in this forum and get treated positively, questions are asked and answered and all is fine. People are welcome to brew the AG recipe without kits and there is no problems. Then, when I ask about extract/partial mash I get the third degree for some reason. Is extract/partial mash so offensive?

I would never have presumed to ask about this recipe if there had not already been nine months of discussion (all apparently sanctioned by the creator) of the recipe prior to my question. I'm not really trying to be subversive here. I really like to see recipes. I cook a lot, maybe that is why. I just feel horrible that my question is being interpreted as "how can I scam AHS out of some money." Of course, now that my integrity is being questioned I feel much less likely to buy this kit on principal- something that I was actually considering before.

I apologize if I have done something wrong, but I just do not know what. Is it that I don't post a lot? Is it that I lurked for a long time before becoming a member? This is all rather demoralizing - maybe I have just not noticed other people being treated this way before because I was not paying attention.

The problem is that it is someone else's recipe.

I would feel fine converting one of my recipes for you. But this isn't my recipe to manipulate or distribute.

This is not a all grain vs partial mash thing at all.

If you want a Belgian Wit recipe, there are quite a few here.

If you specifically want Austin Homebrew Supply's Belgian Wit recipe, why not just buy it from them? Why the resistance to paying someone for their hard work?

I don't think anyone is trying to attack you, so please don't take it that way. We have pointed you to specific links on how to convert recipes, which is what you asked for.

Eric

I appreciate the links and I am not (was not) asking for anyone to provide any further information for me, don't get me wrong.

Just to be sure, what you are saying is the following:

1) it was alright for someone else to post this recipe from AHS (and others from AHS), even if they are not the recipe author.
2) it is alright to ask about extract substitutions in other recipes listed in this forum. This includes the AHS Blue Moon Clone recipe discussion of extract substitutions here for example, which was not posted by the recipe author either.
3) it is not alright for *me* to ask about extract substitutions for this one recipe. Why this one recipe?

If there is some rule about posting which separates the AHS Belgian Wheat Recipe from all others including the AHS Blue Moon Clone recipe, then perhaps it should be posted somewhere. I just do not see the logic behind this mystery rule. I would like to follow this rule. Are there any other recipes that I am not allowed to ask questions about? I mean, I read the rules.

I guess being singled out when there is so much precedent before me is making me feel attacked, yes.

I appreciate the links and I am not (was not) asking for anyone to provide any further information for me, don't get me wrong.

Just to be sure, what you are saying is the following:

1) it was alright for someone else to post this recipe from AHS (and others from AHS), even if they are not the recipe author.
2) it is alright to ask about extract substitutions in other recipes listed in this forum. This includes the AHS Blue Moon Clone recipe discussion of extract substitutions here for example, which was not posted by the recipe author either.
3) it is not alright for *me* to ask about extract substitutions for this one recipe. Why this one recipe?

If there is some rule about posting which separates the AHS Belgian Wheat Recipe from all others including the AHS Blue Moon Clone recipe, then perhaps it should be posted somewhere. I just do not see the logic behind this mystery rule. I would like to follow this rule. Are there any other recipes that I am not allowed to ask questions about? I mean, I read the rules.

I guess being singled out when there is so much precedent before me is making me feel attacked, yes.

I think you are taking this very personally and this in not personal. If you want to make someone's product, then buy it. If you want to try to convert the recipe, we have given you lots and resources to solve that problem.

No one said it wasn't all right for you to ask. But if no one comes forward to give out someone else's recipe without their permission, please don't take it personally. It is not personal.

No one is attacking you. I think it is time to move on.

I hope you make some great beer.

Eric

Seriously?

I never insisted on anything. I never asked for someone's recipe. I did not post the first recipe. I did not start this thread. I asked for help and was just told to buy the kit, which is not an answer so much as a smartass comment.

I mean, it has been 24 hrs. I was honestly expecting either no response or something to the tune of "you might try subbing wheat extract and mashing the flaked wheat with some of the Pilsner Malt" after a few weeks of waiting.

When actually given suggestions, which I was, I thanked people. Perhaps I am being misunderstood.

Regardless, I still think it is jerky to keep insisting that I am a too cheap to pay for someone's hard work. Why are we even sharing recipes? Incidentally, this is what made it personal. I just wanted some advice, man. I mean really, did I need to be told four times to buy the kit? Was that necessary?

But fine, I have learned my lesson and will not post on HBT anymore. Back to lurking it is.

New all grain brewer here going to buy this kit from AHS. Been trying to get into water profiles any suggestions for this style of beer? Antwerp?

I started my second batch of this brew yesterday since the first one mysteriously disappeared. Everything went fine and I ended up with a 78% efficiency. The only change was I used Wyeasts 3944 Belgian Witbier yeast. This was the only yeast available at the home brew shop I went to. Today 15 hours later I still don't have and signs of fermentation. I shook the pail and now I wait. This is my first time using Wyeasts product. Hopefully it starts soon.

Seriously?

I never insisted on anything. I never asked for someone's recipe. I did not post the first recipe. I did not start this thread. I asked for help and was just told to buy the kit, which is not an answer so much as a smartass comment.

I mean, it has been 24 hrs. I was honestly expecting either no response or something to the tune of "you might try subbing wheat extract and mashing the flaked wheat with some of the Pilsner Malt" after a few weeks of waiting.

When actually given suggestions, which I was, I thanked people. Perhaps I am being misunderstood.

Regardless, I still think it is jerky to keep insisting that I am a too cheap to pay for someone's hard work. Why are we even sharing recipes? Incidentally, this is what made it personal. I just wanted some advice, man. I mean really, did I need to be told four times to buy the kit? Was that necessary?

But fine, I have learned my lesson and will not post on HBT anymore. Back to lurking it is.

You can always ask AHS. 1-800-890-2739.

We are always here to help.

I appreciate people trying to help me but procedure is not a trade secret.

Forrest

I must say that the folks at AustinHomebrew have always helped me every time I've called and asked a question.

As far as the conversion GreenGal, here is the recipe for 5 gallons at 75% Eff.

3.61 lb pale lme
3.00 lb White Wheat Malt
2.5 lb Flaked Wheat
0.50 oz Cascade (7.5%) (30min)
0.50 oz Cascade (7.5%) (5 min)
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 15.0 min)
0.50 oz Coriander Seed, Crushed (Boil 15.0 min)
1 Pkg Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400)

Now this won't be exact b/c you're not using pilsner malt, but it will be close. Just do a PM with the wheat in a grain bag.

Hope this helps

Sorry for the bump, but I just kegged this recipe and wanted to post a little feedback.

Overall this is a really nice beer that I would definitely make again. I let it sit in the primary for 3 weeks and at kegging it has a really nice spiced orange and coriander flavor. It's a teensy bit on the spicy side now, but once that flavor mellows and fades a little bit into the background I can definitely see this being indistinguishable from Hoegaarden flavor-wise. The only thing that seems off is the color. It's a wonderful lemon yellow, but Hoegaarden has almost a bone color that this one doesn't quite match.

Looking forward to trying it after a few weeks of conditioning in the keg. Definitely recommended if you like wits !

Wow, been like a year. This thread needs some TLC.

I want to make this beer in the coming months but I have a couple of problems:

1) I don't have access to Belgian pilsner malt. I do have access to Weyermann/Durz Malz pilsner malt. Acceptable?

2) Liquid yeast making it to Japan just doesn't happen. Buying it here can be extremely difficult, if not impossible. I do have Fermentis T-58 and S-33 dry yeast. Acceptable?

I realize these modifications wouldn't make the same beer as indicated in the recipe, but will it get me in the ballpark at least?

Seara Geppu,

1) Yes, it is acceptable.

2) I prefer T-58 for a Belgium Wit.

Like you said, you won't have the same result but you can alwats have a nice surprise.

Good luck!

Atcmello

Wow, been like a year. This thread needs some TLC.

I want to make this beer in the coming months but I have a couple of problems:

1) I don't have access to Belgian pilsner malt. I do have access to Weyermann/Durz Malz pilsner malt. Acceptable?

2) Liquid yeast making it to Japan just doesn't happen. Buying it here can be extremely difficult, if not impossible. I do have Fermentis T-58 and S-33 dry yeast. Acceptable?

I realize these modifications wouldn't make the same beer as indicated in the recipe, but will it get me in the ballpark at least?

Here's a thread with perspectives on your yeast question:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/dry-yeast-equivalent-white-labs-belgian-wit-wlp400-177751/

re: grain - if necessary, you could even go 2-row, but pilsner is best regardless of brand, in my opinion, for this style.

I have made this brew 4 times now and the last one I used T58 for the yeast and everyone thought it was better than the previous batches. Polished off a keg of it at my son's rehearsal dinner and now ia have to make another since the SWOB likes it and is stating to drink a beer now and then.

I brewed this up with Safale WB-06, flaked barley and oats combo instead of the flaked wheat and I have to say...

I don't like it. I like the actual malt, mouthfeel and what not, but I don't like the bitter orange peel. I put equal amounts of coriander and orange peel, but the orange peel completely dominates the taste right now - it's actually lending an almost lambic type sourness it's so prominent (no it's not infected, the sweet malty backbone is hiding behind the orange peel). It's been in the bottle for 3 weeks and it looks like I'll have to age it a bit to tone down the orange.

I would recommend to anyone (including the future me) to swap out the bitter orange peel for a fresh orange peel of the brewer's choice.

Making batch number 5 of this brew as we speak. My last batch I used T58 and everyone thought it was the best batch. This batch I am using some Harvested Wyeast from a previous batch. This is my most popular brew by far. I don't brew over the winter and plan on brewing one more batch before the snow flys. If your on edge about trying this one go for it.

Ok, I brew this recipe every now and then because it’s an approachable easy drinking beer and some of family and friends can’t always handle the beers I normally brew. My problem is this. When I brew the extract version it’s great but the all grain version finishes full of DMS. I saw that this was discussed earlier in this thread and I don’t want to offend anyone but I can’t see how it could be caused by anything but the length of the boil. After doing my own research and multiple brews I have to think Philrose has a point. My boil off rate is right at 12% an hour so that may be why it affects me more than others. This is the only recipe that I use this much Pilsen Malt and the only one that I have this problem with. Again, I’m not attacking Forrest. I love AHS and there recipes. I just want to diagnose this problem.

I just did a 5 gal batch of this. I couldn't help myself but to do a 60 min boil. Fist time I've used coriander. Man, them things smell good when you crush em.

Damn good beer. I just opened one early after carbing for...3 days, and it was delicious. Gonna be hard to wait a full 3 weeks for these things to be ready. I will be brewing 20 gallons more as soon as my grain comes in. Thanks AHS for sharing the recipe!

I bottled this 6 days ago and had to try it. One of the best Wit's I've ever had. Damn proud of it and thinking of entering it in the next competition I can find once it's ready.

The only deviation from the original recipe was that I added some zest from approximately 1/4 of a lemon to the boil at 10 min and fermented with Wyeast 3944.

This is the one I made its warm bottle aging now

13.30 lbs Belgian Pils info
0.22 lbs Oats Flaked info
0.31 lbs Wheat Flaked info
1.2 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker (Pellets, 4.5 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
1.10 oz. Orange Peel (dried) (last 5 minutes-sweet peel) (not included in calculations)
1.10 oz. Corriander crushed (last 5 minutes) (not included in calculations)
Yeast : WLP400

I'm wondering what's the differance between Belgian pilsner 2 row and plain old 2 row? Can plain old 2 row be subbed?

Second batch brewed, very happy with this recipe. Changes made are as follows: Added .25 oatmeal oats, changed to .25 sweet orange, and .25 fresh orange peals.

Just trying to understand, because I am new to brewing with Pilsner malt.

Everything I've read before this thread says to boil Pilsner malts for 90 minutes to drive off DMS. For this brew, 30 minutes is the correct amount.

Does this recipe generate less DMS than one would expect, or is DMS part of the desired flavor profile for this beer?

Or is something else going one that I'm not picking up on?

All I can tell you is that I've brewed this at least 6 times all grain and twice as partial mash. Each time delicious.

Forrest (the owner of AHS) said he consulted with Pierre Celis on this recipe. It has won awards, etc.

I have heard the same concerns about pilsner and DMS. I don't doubt it.

However, I encourage you to brew the recipe as written and judge for yourself.

Cheers

U do a 60 min boil just start added hops at 30mins. A total of a 30min boil would not be enough to drive off the dms. I still think it is a 60 min boil just written to add the hops when you get to 30mins. That's my take on it.

I just brewed this up today (chilling as we speak) I ended up with about 1/2 gal too much wort so I ended up with something closer to a 90 min boil but followed the hops schedule starting with 30 min left in the boil the temp corrected gravity was 1.047 with about 5.25 gal of wort. I will be using the WPL0400 yeast and I made a 1l starter with my newly homebuilt stir plate , I will post how the beer came out with the extended boil in a few weeks.

I just got this AG kit in today along with their Blue Moon clone (my buddy bought that one). We are going to brew this the same day and see which one we like more.

I'm going to follow the directions exactly.

Those that have made it a few times and have said it was excellent, how long did you boil it for?

h22lude said:
I just got this AG kit in today along with their Blue Moon clone (my buddy bought that one). We are going to brew this the same day and see which one we like more.

I'm going to follow the directions exactly.

Those that have made it a few times and have said it was excellent, how long did you boil it for?

I've made this all grain kit about 4 times, the partial mash kit at least two more. My sweetheart loves witbier and I rotate through 3-4 recipes to avoid monotony within the style.

I strongly suggest you follow the recipe to the letter the first time you make it. Boil it the prescribed 30 minutes. Forrest consulted Pierre Celis on this recipe.

After making it at least 6 times before
(with delicious results), I just made my first modification when I brewed it two weeks ago: I added .5 pound of oats and added a rest at 133 to get a better adjunct mash. I really enjoy the silky effect oats provide and wanted to try this technique out after reading about it in Gordon Strong's book.

I'm carbing it up, so I'll have to wait a week or so before I can evaluate it.

You will enjoy the beer EXACTLY as prescribed in the instructions. Even with my small change I stuck to the 30 minute boil.

Cheers

kcpup said:
I've made this all grain kit about 4 times, the partial mash kit at least two more. My sweetheart loves witbier and I rotate through 3-4 recipes to avoid monotony within the style.

I strongly suggest you follow the recipe to the letter the first time you make it. Boil it the prescribed 30 minutes. Forrest consulted Pierre Celis on this recipe.

After making it at least 6 times before
(with delicious results), I just made my first modification when I brewed it two weeks ago: I added .5 pound of oats and added a rest at 133 to get a better adjunct mash. I really enjoy the silky effect oats provide and wanted to try this technique out after reading about it in Gordon Strong's book.

I'm carbing it up, so I'll have to wait a week or so before I can evaluate it.

You will enjoy the beer EXACTLY as prescribed in the instructions. Even with my small change I stuck to the 30 minute boil.

Cheers

That's is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you. I'm going to follow the recipe to the T.

Out of all the batches you have done, what yeast do you like the best?

h22lude said:
That's is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you. I'm going to follow the recipe to the T.

Out of all the batches you have done, what yeast do you like the best?

WLP400, without a doubt (or the Wyeastlab analog). The wit strain is the classic and it works well. Occasionally you need to swirl the carboy to rouse the yeast to get full attenuation. Make a starter.

I also enjoy Wyeastlab's private collection Belgian/Canadian. It's the Unibroue yeast. That is not available now. When it does come out try it in any Belgian style. Very flexible and tasty.

Cheers

kcpup said:
WLP400, without a doubt (or the Wyeastlab analog). The wit strain is the classic and it works well. Occasionally you need to swirl the carboy to rouse the yeast to get full attenuation. Make a starter.

I also enjoy Wyeastlab's private collection Belgian/Canadian. It's the Unibroue yeast. That is not available now. When it does come out try it in any Belgian style. Very flexible and tasty.

Cheers

Great thanks. I will give 400 a try.

Did you ferment this in the higher 60s to get rid if the sulfur smell (that I've read about) or did you ferment in the low 60s and kept it in primary a little longer?

Back