Batch 2, help with my IPA recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brooklynbrews

Reaction score
So, I'm attempting to put together a citrusy IPA for my second extract batch. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
59% 6 0 Briess GOLD LME 34 5 ~
31% 3 3 Extra Pale Liquid Malt Extract 34 1 ~
5% 0 8 American Two-row Pale 37 1 ~
5% 0 8 Crystal 40L 34 40 ~

USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 2.0 Amarillo pellet 7.0
boil 30 mins 1.5 Cascade pellet 5.5
boil 15 mins 0.5 Amarillo pellet 7.0
boil 10 mins 1.0 Centennial pellet 10.0

Safale US-05 Dry Yeast info

Skip the 2-row, it won't add anything because you are extract brewing. Maybe also try 1/2#of victory malt for a little bready goodness?

Also, I would use a higher AA hop for the 60 minute addition, so that can use less hops and use the delicious amarillo for flavor and aroma. And add the 15 and 10 minute additions at 5 or flame out and maybe dry hop?

definitely ditch the 2-row for something with more character (biscuit, munich, etc) or just drop it.

id split up the 30min add or move it later. theres not enough flavor contribution from a 30min add to do that big of one. it needs a dry hop too, so id just move nearly everything 15mins forward, i.e 15min, flameout, DH instead

cool, thanks for the advice. I have no experiences with the dry hop, but I will read up a bit. will centennial or Amarillo work as a dry hop addition? Which would lend more a citrus flavor, Amarillo correct?

Here's a revamped version:

5% 0 8 Weyermann Munich Type I 35 7 ~

boil 60 mins 2.0 Centennial pellet 10.0
boil 15 mins 1.0 Amarillo pellet 7.0
post-boil 1 min 1.5 Cascade pellet 5.5
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Amarillo pellet 7.0

definitely ditch the 2-row for something with more character (biscuit, munich, etc) or just drop it.

In theory, if the 2-row were included, could you get some additional sugars from the specialty grains? But probably negligible?

In theory, if the 2-row were included, could you get some additional sugars from the specialty grains? But probably negligible?
Nope. Munich will self-convert and the crystal doesn't need to be mashed to extract its sugars (only steeped.)

edit to add:
Your revised recipe looks great. Good luck!

Nope. Munich will self-convert and the crystal doesn't need to be mashed to extract its sugars (only steeped.)

edit to add:
Your revised recipe looks great. Good luck!

+1, esp on the recipe. however, IIRC thru some testing, it was discovered that crystal malts actually do contain a small amount of starch so mashing them does actually improve the extraction and attenuation. (its been awhile since i read it so I may be entirely wrong)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/testing-fermentability-crystal-malt-208361/

Split your 60 min addition in half and use 1 oz of the Centennial as a first wort hop.

cool, thanks for the advice. I have no experiences with the dry hop, but I will read up a bit. will centennial or Amarillo work as a dry hop addition? Which would lend more a citrus flavor, Amarillo correct?

Here's a revamped version:

5% 0 8 Weyermann Munich Type I 35 7 ~

Love it! I might be inclined to add 1 ounce of centennial minute hops and add them at 5 minutes, though, if you want a nice hoppy flavor.

I would also add that you should replace the 2-row with some munich. My partial mash IPA looks like this:

5.75 lbs Light DME
2.25 lbs 2-Row
1.25 lbs Munich (10L)
.5 lbs Crystal 60

You could probably make something very similar by using Munich and your C-40. Also, If you added in some Simcoe in place of the Cascade I think you would like it, especially if you're going for something fruity. My pale ale is Simcoe/Amarillo dry hopped with Centennial and Simcoe. I think most people who have tried it love the Simcoe/Amarillo combo.

Looking tasty. I might use a lower degree crystal to keep the color down since youre using extract although the extra light LME will help with that too. You're not dealing with much crystal anyway so its probably a moot point.

Should I be using more Munich as a steeping grain?

also, when you mention splittingCentennial "as a first wort hop", what does this mean in practice?

Thanks for all the feedback, really looking forward to brewing this weekend.

For extract brewing, this involves chucking the hops in at the time you start seeping the specialty grain, is that right?

you could, but if that were the case id bag the hops so they dont get caught in the grains and lost from the boil, otherwise its just a mash hop (kinda the same as FWH but with way less bitterness and even more questionable returns).

I wouldn't bag the hops. I'd wait until steeping the specialty grains was done, add the hops and let them sit for a bit before starting the boil. This is completely theoretical, I honestly never did a FWH until I switched to all grain. Really have no idea how much of the flavor you'll get in a partial boil extract brew, but it will smell fantastic while you bring up the boil

Or, you could go with Yooper's suggestion and add an extra ounce of Centennial near the end of the boil. This will get you more of that delicious Centennial flavor.

I wouldn't bag the hops. I'd wait until steeping the specialty grains was done, add the hops and let them sit for a bit before starting the boil. This is completely theoretical, I honestly never did a FWH until I switched to all grain. Really have no idea how much of the flavor you'll get in a partial boil extract brew, but it will smell fantastic while you bring up the boil
in some of the reading I've done, this seems like the best approach.

So, brewed this over the weekend. I think everything went well, but I was a little off on the OG. I think this was due to steeping the specialty grains at too low an initial temp (I read the thermometer wrong).

Anyway, it's fermenting nicely and I'll be ready to dry hop the last oz of Amarillo hops in five days or so.

Thanks to all for your advice!

Back